Chapter 18

Bella's POV

Eventually I can't distract myself enough and I hug my knees telling myself I'm not gonna cry. I guess Christina noticed me though.

"Are you okay, Belle?" she asks. I lock eyes with her and that sends me over the edge. I start bawling and can't stop. She puts her phone down and runs over to me, sitting down on Katherine's bed. I latch onto her like a little kid. She holds me tight in her arms. 

"It hurts," I say in amidst my crying. 

"Your face?" she asks in my ear.

"No... inside. The pain, it never goes away. I can't make it go away! I'm always either hurting or numb. So much has happened in my life and I've always had to be the strong one, not allowing myself to cry or break down. I always help others. People just hurt me, use me, then leave me. I've never told anyone all this before." My words slide out of my mouth. I trust Christina, unlike I've ever trusted anyone before. I don't have to choose my words carefully with her because I know she won't judge me. 

She strokes my hair and hugs me even tighter. "I am so so sorry babygirl. I am so sorry," 

I then sit up and look into her eyes, she looks right back at me. "Chrissy, I can't even remember what true happiness feels like," I cry. Tears spill out of her eyes and I lay my head on her lap. She rubs my back.

"I won't ever give up on you babygirl, I'm going to help you find the happiness you so deserve," she whispers to me. My cries slowly subside as the darkness engulfs me.

Lisa's POV

I walk into my sisters' room to tell Christina and Bella that it's dinner time. I find Christina asleep sitting up on Katherine's bed with Bella asleep on her lap. Both have tear stained cheeks. It's a sad yet beautiful sight. I'm so glad Bella found us and we found her. 

Katherine told me how she saved Sydney, how she didn't sleep last night instead taking care of Amy, and how she got into a fight this afternoon. Life never seems to get better for her. I hate to wake her and my eldest sister up but I have to. 

"Christina," I say as I nudge her awake. She rubs her eyes, takes one glance at me and then quickly looks down, probably making sure Bella's okay. She breathes a sigh of relief. 

"It's time for dinner," I tell her quietly as she gently shakes Bella. Bella opens one eye and mumbles "What?" 

"It's dinner time sweetie," I say. She gets up and goes to the washroom to make herself look presentable. 

"Are you alright?" I ask Christina. 

"Not really but it's going to be okay. I'm going to get Bella through her past and to a better present and  future," she tells me in a strong voice. My guess is that Bella told her some more and that it wasn't anything easy to hear.

Bella emerges from the bathroom and the three of us walk down to the kitchen, Christina walking protectively next to Bella. We all sit down but then Joey jumps onto Bella's knee. She smiles at him, pretty sure it's a fake one though. 

"Hey Joey," she says.

"I heard you were in a fight today, that's so cool!" he exclaims. I see her choose her words carefully before responding.

"Honestly, it isn't as cool as you think. It really hurts and it makes you feel bad after too," she tells him. 

"Really?" He looks at her with wide eyes. 

"Yeah Joey, I'm telling the truth. Now how about you sit down so we can eat. My stomach is really growling and if I don't eat soon maybe a tiger will jump out," Bella says, lightening the mood. Joey, Nick, and Christian laugh and the rest of us chuckle a bit too.