Chapter 17

CALLIAS:

I felt like a hand was squeezing around my heart when I heard Darren hold back in a sob. It really hurt me to know that I was the cause of his distress, and I honestly don’t know what I did. I love Darren Reed, but because of our age differences its so difficult for me to understand what’s going inside his head. I didn't have that kind of mentality anymore.

I didn’t want to leave his side, but I didn’t know how he would react if others saw me with him in a more intimate way. Given his age, I figured that he would be embarrassed to be seen in that fashion with an old man. I thought it would be best to give him that space in order to be cautious about that.

But, either way,  i’m more than happy to have him back and safe into my arms where he belongs. I smiled softly to myself, I will never have to wake up alone again. His age has never been a bother to me, I loved everything about Darren Reed. I want our relationship to be a clean, and an honest one. And that’s why i’m willing to go to hell and back just so I can see that brilliant smile of his that just lights up my world. “Yo old man, what do you want to order?” And that... is the cause of my early wrinkles, my son Serge.

My left eye twitched in annoyance as the stupid smile on my face faded almost instantly. The woman behind the register blushed when she glanced up at me, but I didn’t give her any mixed signals. My heart already belonged to Darren. “Get me the usual.” I muttered out to her bitterly, she threw me a playful smile and wink when she pulled out a large soda and I frowned instantly when a few numbers were written in small letters on the side.

The woman leaned forward casually, “call me handsome.” She winked as she grazed her fingertips against mine when I held the cup. My son and I often come to this burger place and they almost always know what we like. For a bunch of humans, they sure had a great memory, and i'll give them that. But I instantly regretted coming back here, mostly because I forgot that she works here on Wedensdays. This woman has been trying to get into my pants since the first time she unfortunately laid eyes on me.

 And today was going to be the day that she would regret it.

Irritation instantly soared through me like wildfire when my face hardened. The woman gasped when I reached out to her and grabbed onto her hand. “Listen here you bitch.” I growled to her under my breath. The woman in front of me wasn’t so confident anymore. Good. “I would suggest you have more dignity and respect for yourself if you ever were to have a man as a potential partner. I pity your parents who didn’t teach you any self worth. No wonder you are working here in the first place.” I snarled at her while letting her hand go and pushing my shades back up.

The woman gasped again as held her wrist to her chest. I could tell she was trying her best to blink away her tears, I didn’t feel any sympathy for her. Or for anybody, ever since Darren came into my life,my heart only softens for him. Everyone else could just go to fucking hell. I smirked as I walked away from the register after she shakily handed me the change and the receipt. “You know you could have just said no dad, that was just plain cruel. Now she won’t go to sleep peacefully because of you.” I tsked angrily as I walked up to the soda machine.

What kind of drink will Darren like? My heart sank to the pit of my stomach, when I realised how much I didn’t know him.  I didn’t know his favorite color, or anything for that matter. “Dad, Darren has a preference for  fruits and grains, I ordered him a veggie burger and potato fries just to be safe. And as for drinks he might just--” I scrutinized my eyebrows at that, “Oh, shit.” Serge whispered when my hand smashed the plastic cup.

Mother fuckers...I snarled out while throwing the useless thing onto the floor. “Get me another one.” I hissed through clenched teeth. I can’t do anything right lately, how does my own son know more about my mate than I do? Its degrading really. I bet he gets all the information out of Logan, that little circus midget, I hate the bloody hell out of that human ingrate. “Whoa old man, chill out dude.” Serge chuckled as he slapped my back. “I got the food we just need the drinks now, I would say that its safe to go with iced tea for Darren dad.” He mumbled softly to me at the last part. I smiled softly at my son’s suggestion before finally deciding on iced tea.

I never liked tea, but if Darren likes tea then I’ll like it with him. “Aren’t you getting something else dad? You never liked tea.” My son mused, I didn’t say anything to that as we walked out of the burger place. “I’ll drive dad.” I nodded silently in agreement to that as we got into the vehicle and strapped into our seats. I couldn’t wait to get back home and have him back into my arms, I missed him already and its only been an hour. I kept checking the clock every now and then as my leg bobbed up and down anxiously to see his eyes.

“Can you drive any faster dammit?” I hissed.  Serge chuckled arrogantly before swiveling sharply around the corner. “We are almost there dad calm your tits.”  I rolled my eyes. “Did you get food for Jeeves?” I whispered as I gazed out of the window, at the corner of my eye, my son nodded slightly before taking a sip out of coke. “Drive with both of your hands.” I coldly snapped at him, he’s in his early 20’s and I still need to chide him like a teenager. “Fuck dad. I’m not a kid anymore quit treating me like one.”  I let out a heavy sigh as I shlumped back into my seat.

We pulled up to our driveway and before my son could park I clicked out of the seat belt and jumped out of the car with Darren’s food and drink. Ignoring his curses at me, was I in too deep already? I don’t care. I smiled when the door opened only to reveal Jeeves on the other side. “Lunch is here.” I smiled cheekily as he parted his way to let me pass, my eyes immediately searched for Darren’s and I couldn’t stop the full blown grin that spread across my face when I saw him and Logan lounging out in the living room.

I let Jeeves take the food as I walked up to him sneakily behind the couch. Before I could sneakily peck Darren on the cheek, my eyebrows furrowed when Logan looked back at me and greeted me cheekily. I frowned slightly when Darren abruptly got up from the couch and didn’t look back at me or even greet me. I’m surprised at how hurt I felt when he swiftly ignored me when he followed Logan to the kitchen.

My eyebrows narrowed into slits when he ignored me the entire time that we ate. Most of the time, Darren sat on his bar stool taking slow and tentative bites out of his meal. He didn’t even look up at all when somebody talked to him. And it was bothering me to no end, was this all because of what happened this morning? That was about to change right now then if it was. Darren was almost done eating his potato fries when everyone else stood up to head towards the living room. Jeeves kindly offered to help clean the kitchen even though it was entirely unnecessary. I let Darren finish his meal, and I stayed with him the entire time even though I could tell that my presence annoyed him.  He didn’t want anything to do with me.

I licked my lips as I rolled my shoulders slightly backwards in order to loosen up the tension in them. Darren was finally done with his meal, as I was done with the silent treatment. At this point, I really didn’t care who was watching, when I jumped off of the bar stool and grabbed his wrist making him yelp when I pulled him up tight to my chest. I lifted his chin up so that I can see those brown puppy dog eyes of his that I loved so much. “Let go of me.” He hissed as he began to slap and hit my chest, and despite of his efforts I still kept a firm grip on him; I never yielded.

My eyes softened when Darren’s eyes began to well up with tears when he tried to gain control of his breathing. I let go of his hands only to cup his face and wipe away his tears with my thumbs. “Let go of me…” He whispered weakly, I know he doesn’t mean any of that. “Never.” I mumbled as I pulled him up into my arms and kissed him shamelessly.

I will never let Darren go...even if hell freezes over.