Chapter 2

The boy in front of me was already trying to make small talk. He asked me for my name twice, the first time I didn't listen; the second time I did. He tilted his head over his shoulder, I looked up to him with a glare plastered onto my face.

But I wasn't really in the mood for small talk.

"Darren Reed. Yours?" I muttered out in annoyance, as I kept my eyes glued back to the ground.

The boy in front of me chuckled hoarsely, why is he trying to make friends around here?

He probably knows that we are going to be gone pretty soon...there really is no point I scoffed out. Might as well take advantage of the only other boy that might speak to me here in this hell hole.

"Marcello." I could hear the smile in his voice when he introced himself to me. But the more I tried to keep my distance from him, the more he pushed.

"You are beautiful." He whispered to me, making me blink twice and flush a little. Why would he come off saying something like that? "I-i'm sorry?" I stuttered out before arching an eyebrow at him, making him chuckle. "You heard what I said, don't be bluffing." He whispered before throwing me a wink.

No one has ever given me a compliment like that before...at least, none that I could remember of. All my life I was always pretty much compared to Logan and my friends, Logan was always the one that everyone cooed at.

Not me.

I was a little chubby for my age, and I had tight loose curls that I always hated because they were hard to manage in the mornings. I never thought of myself as being beautiful...quite the opposite actually. I think...if I look hard enough in a mirror, I could actually break it. "Where are we?" I dared to ask. I wanted to know, my curiosity was eating me inside and out.

Marcello clicked his teeth and paused before the wailing of the loudspeaker screeched out again, "move forward!" I winced. The voice behind the loudspeaker sure knew how to make an entrance, I bemused to myself as I stepped forward with everyone else in an aligned step.

"To be honest Reed, I don't even know myself. But when you are within' these walls its the fear that makes you stronger around here." He whispered.

A few boys in front of Marcelo hushed him to which he responded to with an annoyed smirk. "Oh, come off your high horse you twats." He spat out, making my frown twitch up into a smirk. He was shushed again. Those bitches sure know how to flick shit. Soon, we reached the front of the line, and I watched hesitantly as Marcelo's wrist was yanked forward by a grudgy, fat old man. He took his wrist and with a hot iron he marked it.

Marcelo hissed sharply, and I wouldn't blame him at all. But he took it all in like a man, he was brave, and for that I envied him a little...only a little that is. "Move forward!" The loudspeaker wailed out, making me cringe and internally curse at them. I stepped forward where Marcello once stood and flinched when the man eyes grazed all over me and hummed.

He yanked my wrist forward, causing me to stumble on my step and nearly fall over against the edge of the wooden table. "Careful there princess." The man teased as he smirked. His gross, and fat fingers raked over my hands a little longer than usual.

"You must be fresh meat around here. I haven't seen you before." He purred as he snapped at one of the boys behind him and prepared the iron.

I flinched.

"This won't hurt...much." He winked as he kept a good grip on my wrist, and held it out towards him. "They'll be paying a high price for you. I would not be surprised if you leave earlier than the others do actually." I winced and had to bite down on my bottom lip in order to hold back in a scream when the iron rubbed back and forth against the skin.