Chapter 10

My eyes smoldered as they glanced down at the shivering Jeeves in my arms. I reached out into the front pocket of his dress pants as I took out his phone and flipped it open, my index finger lingered and wavered slightly over the digits on the phone before I decided to close it shut as Jeeves compulsed on my lap. “Jeeves!” I tried calling out to him, while slapping his cheeks gently. He wasn’t responding, but as I leaned down to him to cheek for his breathing control, I let out a sigh of relief as I wiped the sweat off of my forehead.

He was breathing, but I couldn’t get him to open his eyes. I swiped my lips with my tongue as I closed my eyes hesitantly, but they abruptly opened when Jeeves started to choke on air. His eyes flew open as he started to cough violently. Jeeves brought up a clenched fist to his chest and started pounding it as he shook his head. He coughed again before his breathing regulated and his eyes peered up at me. “Darren?” He whispered hoarsely with hooded lids. I nodded to him numbly as he laid on the kitchen floor with his head on my lap. “What the hell was that?” I spat as I curled my fingers into tight fists.

“I apologize if I worried you.” He whispered hoarsely as he wheezed. Nobody just goes under a compulsion like that, and then just blinks out of it. “What are you?” I whispered to him as I scrutinized my eyebrows, Jeeves didn’t respond as he suddenly made his way to get up and stand on his own, I slowly got up and stretched my arms out just to be sure that Jeeves wouldn’t do something that would make my heart stop and freeze all over again. He said nothing to that as a frown stretched across his face while  I crossed my arms over my chest. “Jeeves?” He hummed softly, before rubbing slow circles on his chest. "How did you and Nolan meet?”

I whispered as uncertainty rocked me to the core. Jeeves sighed deeply as he raked a shaky hand through his hair before swallowing an audible gulp as tears swam in his eyes. “What i’m about to tell you...is something that you can’t reveal to anyone else do you understand Mr. Reed?” Jeeves hoarsely whispered as his breath tickled my face making my eyelashes flutter. His body was taut and tense as his eyes darted around with hesitancy.

“I understand.” I mumbled. “Good. I suggest we take a seat then.” He mumbled before I trailed behind him around the small kitchen island with trudging steps. Jeeves let out a shaky breath as we lounged ourselves onto the couch, he closed his eyes as he placed a hand over his chest. Maybe, I shouldn’t have asked him. I probably went out of line, “Jeeves...its okay if you don’t want to tell me. I shouldn’t have asked.” I suggested as I shlumped my shoulders while my hands found their way to the hem of my shirt. “No. You were brought into this world unfairly, and its only fair if you were to understand some of its haunting ways.” He murmured.

My heart froze as hands began to shake so I had to lock my fingers together in order to keep them still. I didn’t say anything, I wanted him to keep talking without any interruptions, this was probably going to be my only chance of ever finding out anything about this world.

Jeeves let out another slow and steady breath as he unfolded his hands on his lap before his eyes snapped towards me making me blink at the sudden closeness. I gulped. “I was born in the early 1800s.” He whispered out slowly, as his refused to leave mine. I chuckled as I rubbed the nape of my neck, “you’re flicking shit here right?” I chuckled again as face contorted into a frown, “no, you asked and i’m going to deliver. So I’d suggest you keep quiet if you wish to understand the full extent of my nature.”