Chapter Twenty-Four - Illt

Author's Note: Ah, writing again. I really struggled with this chapter, and to be honest, some unexpected things seem to have happened. To be brief, I think it is fair warning that things have definitely taken a turn for the dark. There are many things still to be explained, and fear not, they all will be. I will deal with all of the things that must be dealt with. Some of you may have questions after this chapter, some may not. We shall see! But yes, I'm going to go ahead and include a trigger warning for violence. The violence has been edited down some, but it is most definitely still present. And I know you may leave this chapter not so pleased with me, maybe not so pleased with some characters. I understand this, believe me. Onwards—and again, thank you all for such lovely support, you were also so kind and welcoming back last chapter and I really appreciate it! <3

........................................

........................................

Chapter Twenty-Four - Illt, or Evil

When I throw open the door to our bedroom, Loki is perched on a chair by the balcony, reading a book. The sun falls upon his exquisite face, shadows gracing the hollows of his cheekbones. I survey him for just a moment, taking him in, before I go barreling into the closet, tearing off my dress.

Loki calls my name softly as I tug on a pair of leather pants. I go into the bedroom, holding a shirt in one hand and my boots in the other. Loki smiles at me and I throw my shirt over my head as he gets up and crosses towards me. He places his hands delicately on my hips and dips his chin, his lips brushing against mine. He lifts a hand to comb it through my hair, bracing his hand against the back of my head. He pulls me close to him and he kisses me, holding us together. I wrap my arms around his neck and the hem of my shirt lifts and his hand slips up my spine. His lips move to my neck and the hand in my hair drops to below my waist, his fingers pressing firmly into my skin.

Reluctantly, I pull away from him, catching my breath before I throw myself down onto the edge of the bed to put my boots on. Focus, Valkyrie. Loki frowns and kneels before me. “Where are you in such a rush to?”

I don’t answer right away, but move on to lacing up my left boot. Loki pulls on the lace of the right one, effectively undoing the boot I just tied. I swat his hands away with a laugh.

“How did things go with Ronan?” he questions, but I meet his eyes and say nothing. He looks up at me through his long dark lashes. “This silence thing is incredibly mysterious. I like it.”

I laugh, running my fingers through his hair, combing it back away from his face. He needs a haircut again. “So you like it when I shut up, then?”

“No,” he purrs, “I enjoy everything you have to say. But I do so love that look on your face when you’ve run out of words and your lips are free to kiss.”

He kisses me again, leaning me back on the bed. I clutch at his shoulders desperately, inhaling his scent, trying to impress it into my memory. I want to remember him just this way. I want him to remember me just as we are now. He props himself up and smiles down at me, his hair hanging into his face. I laugh and tuck it behind his ears. And then I swallow hard. He isn’t going to let me interrogate Amora if I tell him that’s where I’m going. I know that. I bite down on my lip.

His eyelids flutter and then he cocks his head to the side. There is the ghost of a smile on his lips as he shakes his head side to side. “Oh, you are a wicked little thing.”

I whisper my apologies and then he laughs faintly before he passes out on top of me. I grimace slightly as his full body weigh collapses on top of me and then I roll him off of me and onto his back. I hop off the bed, retying my boots on the way, and hurry into the bathroom, scrubbing my lips clean of the sleeping draught I used to put Loki to sleep. I frown at my reflection in the mirror. I don’t look like myself anymore…I don’t recognize the person in the mirror. Gaunt. Paranoid. Cruel.