Chapter Eight - Óendanlegt

Author's Note: My people! I bear good news. Well sort of, other than that I am slowly losing my mind being on winter break. It is never ending. BUT! The other night I had major late night revelations about this chapter and the overall plot. Well, you will see! So much is to come! It's strange because this feels like so much further along than chapter eight, but I suppose that is what happens when you don't have thirty chapters of Loki/Val sexual tension. Oh my, oh my, so many things to come! I do apologize in advance for this chapter...you will understand soon enough. Also, this chapter is somehow miraculously presented with no time lapses. I just noticed that...UNINTERRUPTED CHAOS.

Reminder about the Watty Awards! Please make sure to vote for Recompense between now and January 31st! Fingers crossed! 

.......................................

.......................................

Chapter Eight - Óendanlegt, or Infinite

I find myself standing, covered in blood. I stand in the hall looking about myself, but there is no one to be found. My heart is pounding erratically. I look down and there is an obliterated Dark Elf on the floor. I sink to my knees beside it, placing my hands upon its chest. I drop my head back, sighing towards the ceiling, eyes filling with tears. 

What have I done? 

Suddenly Odin rounds the corner and I stumble to my feet, averting my gaze. "Odin, I see you have awoken. How...how are you feeling?"

He says nothing at first and I lift my gaze to see him staring at me in disbelief. "You are not even armed...how did you...?"

"I don't know."

"Much has transpired during my Odinsleep, I suspect. It is fortunate I was not asleep longer, my child," he says calmly. He looks down at the dead elf and grimaces slightly. "Go to Frigga and get yourself cleaned up. I will take care of...this."

I hesitate, looking down at my own hands in fear. Odin looks up at me. "Go," he commands. I nod quickly and dash off toward Frigga's chambers, my feet carrying me swiftly across the corridors, my clothes stiff with blood and stuck to my skin. 

Frigga opens the door before I can even raise a tremulous arm to knock and see looks me over and doesn't even hesitate to wrap her arms around me, cradling my head into her shoulder as I begin to sob. She coos sweet words at me as she brings me inside and closes the door behind me. Over her shoulder I see my own mother rise from her seat at the sight of me. I let out an inhuman sob and release Frigga and run to my mother who sinks to the ground with me. She cradles me to her bosom as she gently strokes my hair. 

"My dear," she coos into my forehead, her lips kissing me over and over. "What have you done?"

I can't stop my sobbing long enough to begin to explain all that has transpired. I can't bring myself to say that I think I am losing my mind. She seems to understand oddly enough and she gets me to my feet slowly.

“Come along, we shall get you cleaned up,” she says. She supports my weight generously as she half-drags me towards Frigga’s bathroom. She places me gently on the floor as Frigga enters and helps to get me undressed. My mother draws the bath and then sets to unlacing my boots. I can’t seem to do anything. I cannot function. My mind has betrayed me. 

Frigga and my mother lift me to me feet again and help me into the bathtub. The moment I am submerged in water it is like my whole body has jumped to life again, shock coursing through me instantly. I flail uselessly, letting out an inhuman sound and my mother simply calms me, rocking my head in her arms carefully.