Chapter Twenty-Three - Spurningar

Author's Note: I AM BACK. It feels so good to be and writing again oh my goodness you don't even understand. New Hampshire was...interesting. But more on that another time. I'm sure you guys just want the chapter after all it's been four weeks! We had little to no WiFi at the house where I stayed and it was impossible to update. I tried to keep in touch with the world via my phone, but that was also hard to maintain. ANYWAY. I'm back now and that's the good news. I know the last chapter was upsetting and it was painful for me too and I'm sorry that that was the lingering note I had to leave off on for the last few weeks. To be honest, this chapter is lighter, but not much funner. I hope you understand the happiness is a faint and fleeting thing in their current situation, sooo...I warned you it would be darker now! Oh! And we have a new cover! I made it today and I'm still not sure how I feel about it, so I'm feeling it out! Okay, I'm glad to be back and here is your eagerly awaited new chapter!

............................................

............................................

Chapter Twenty-Three - Spurningar, or Questions

Despite all logic and common sense, as well as the protestations of my aching body, I slept so incredibly soundly. And now I lay with the sun warming my face, Loki’s body pressed firmly against mine. He has always been a possessive sleeper, but his clinging to me brings me more comfort than anything else could hope to. I feel his arm draped across my waist, his hand resting firmly against the skin of my hip. I turn about in his arms so that I can face him.

“Morning,” Loki yawns sleepily, stretching his arms up high above his head, letting go of me. The muscles of his chest flex under his skin. I think to last night, the feeling of his cool skin as he carried me to bed. I slept the moment my head touched the pillow. He rolls back towards me and kisses my forehead and I pull his face to mine, knotting my hands in his hair and I press our foreheads together.

“I love you,” I murmur. He smiles slowly and runs the back of his hand over my cheek. I feel the tears on my cheeks before I realize they are in my eyes.

“Are you all right?” he whispers against my cheek.

"What do you desire to do today?"

"I will speak with Amora,” I say firmly, fingers itching for my confrontation with that nasty bitch.

"Perhaps it's best to wait another day for that."

"Why?" I ask, the word coming out much severer than I intended. I narrow my eyes. "Why, are you protecting her?" 

Loki laughs, "Of course not. I just think it is in everyone's best interest to act rationally right now."

I throw the covers off of me and jump out of bed. "When have you ever known me to be rational?" 

"Rationality and stupidity do not necessarily find themselves kin. It would be unwise to blur the line between them," Loki says, pursing his lips as his hand finds its way around my wrist. I know in my heart of hearts that he is right, he always is. Mostly. And yet, I feel that familiar flare of heat in the tips of my fingers that feels like it is pressing white hot against the inside of my skin, begging to be set free. I stare into his eyes for a moment of unrelenting intensity and I feel like he is probing my head for some sort of answer. Judging by the way his brow furrows, he is not finding anything he likes. 

"One day you'll have to stop trying to poke about in my head and just trust me," I say quietly, intensely. I feel my heart racing. I don't want him to know that more than anything in this world I want to feel Amora's heart in my hands as she dies. I want to know the heat of her blood. I want her to suffer. But these thoughts thump my heart quickly and make it hard to breathe. I know they are wrong. They make me itch with the unpleasantness of the act, and yet, the notion of my revenge tastes sweet on my tongue.