Chapter Thirteen - Sár

Author's Note: I'll probably continue to apologize for how long it takes me to get chapters out. It's just about midterms and everything is chaotic and busy, but that's okay! At least it all keeps me active. Anyway, this chapter, unfortunately, feels like a bit of a filler for me, sort of a segue into the next course of action. Of course, I hope you don't feel that way, haha! Anyway, I guess we'll just right on with the chapter then, and please keep commenting and voting! It's lovely to hear from you guys! x

.......................................

.......................................

Chapter Thirteen - Sár, or Wounds

I sit in the throne room, staring down at my stomach, seated to the left of Odin, only granted a chair because of the thing growing inside me. I mean, it's not a thing, that's not what I mean. It's not that I do not love my child...I just don't know how exactly I am supposed to feel about it. Especially now, of all times. I had envisioned raising Loki and I's child...just with a little more Loki in the picture. 

Two weeks have transpired since the news first came back to us, and Odin has not said much of it, at least not to me. He has also chosen not to speak about the child growing inside me that is likely more Jötunn than I am. The only saving grace in this past week has been the work to keep me busy. The council has continued, with myself returning to my position of Secretary of War. Of course, Asgard is on high alert due to the theft of the Infinity Gauntlet. I have yet to get a clear explanation as to what it truly is capable of, but I will find someone to explain it to me in due course.

Today we are finally beginning to hear the public pleas with regard to taxes, after pestering Odin about it. He gave in surprisingly easily this time, though I suspect that is more due to him not wanting to upset me.  Everyone prances around me like I'm a fucking tea cup. 

"Allfather, Thor, Princess," I hear a familiar voice and this prompts me to look up from poking the hardening flesh of my stomach. Frey looks serious, well put together (with my help, of course), and he bows respectfully to us both. He smiles at me and I smile back encouragingly, of course getting a look from Odin who purses his lips but says nothing. I roll my eyes when he turns back and Thor, standing to Odin's right, stifles a laugh. 

"You are the one who kidnapped Valkyrie and my late son, Loki, yes?" Odin's voice is loud, authoritative, booming out across the hall. The sound of Loki's name on Odin's tongue fills me with a new kind of discomfort and I shift in my seat, trying to keep myself composed. My fingers flit over my mouth, covering my quivering jaw. I inhale deeply, clearing the tears away. No more crying. Not now. Not in front of all these people. 

Suddenly I feel a hand upon mine and I look to see Odin has risen from his throne and is now standing beside me, his hand clasped over mine, both resting against the arm of the chair. I take in an audible gasp and then all ability to rationalize or function like a human being leaves me.

"That is true. I do hope that you are willing to forgive me for that trespass against decency," Frey says, bowing his head once more. That's pretty good. I'll give him credit for being honest and just the right amount of charming. 

Odin looks to me, "Are you willing to forgive this man for the crime committed against you?"

"I mean, it wasn't really a crime..." Odin stares at me. Nobody wants to hear what I actually have to say. I sigh, "Yes, I am willing to forgive Frey Guarinnson."

"It would seem to me, Guarinnson, that you are a firm believer in the ends justifying the means," Odin states.

Frey looks up, "Not usually, no."