Chapter Sixteen - Flýja

Author's Note: As promised, a rather quick update following the last, mostly because I got a bit ahead, finally, and because you guys are wonderfully patient and because cliffhangers suck, I know. Oh boy do I know. And I further promise that things will all start to clear themselves up soon, things will come to light, blah blah blah. You know the drill. Just...have patience and maybe some good things will happen? I don't know. We shall see! Okay, chapter now, enough rambling. Don't forget to leave your thoughts below in the comments!

......................................

......................................

Chapter Sixteen - Flýja, or Escape

 “Valkyrie...”

The word is a faint whisper in my mind, and it echoes endlessly. Against my skin I feel a cool pressure, like fingertips across my flesh. I can sense him, I can feel him. He is here.

“Valkyrie!” This time the word is a shout and it runs right through me, sending a shiver down my spine. I open my eyes and see nothing but industrial grey. It occurs to me after a moment of blinking that I am laying on my back, staring at the ceiling. I turn my head to the side, towards the source of my loud name-calling. 

“You are awake,” his voice is calm and cool, just as I remembered it.

“You are a little late,” I retort but I can’t help the smile that comes to my lips. He leans over me and places a light kiss upon my lips, his touch cold. He brushes my hair aside and tucks it behind my ear. 

“You will have to forgive me. Unforeseen circumstances kept me from immediately returning to you, my love,” he purrs with a smile.

I look back towards the ceiling, the smile still pulling at my lips. “We will have to make up for lost time. Of course, probably not right now...Big Brother is watching.” I nod my head towards the security camera in the corner. 

His hand slides over my stomach and rests there. I close my eyes and sigh and when I open my eyes he is gone, but the sensation of his touch remains. I start crying and then I start screaming, struggling against the restraints that have me pinned down to this table. It takes only a little bit of extra effort before I have broken the metal restraints around my torso and then I sit up and start fiddling with the restraints around my lap and my legs. They seem to be locked, so I rip these too, fracturing the metal with my grip and then pulling them apart, wires torn and frayed, sticking out of the restraints. 

Foolish of them to think I would be so easily restrained.

I rub my eyes, fingers dancing over my scarred eyelid, feeling suddenly overcome with exhaustion. I have never used my apparent power like this before, and never have I attempted to restrain it with such force. There is no knowing what happened once I blacked out, but considering the glorified container I am currently in, I would assume nothing good. I scream again, kicking against the steel table I was strapped to. My force uproots it from the floor and knocks it over against the wall. 

“COULSON!” I shout at the top of my lungs, turning towards the surveillance camera. After a moment the door’s handle opens and of course it is not Coulson but Tony Stark. 

“I’m surprised they didn’t send Thor,” I remark, crossing my arms over my chest. I am pissed, the magic is still coursing through my veins, I am tired, and I am apparently now hallucinating my dead husband. But all of that melts away when Tony steps into the light of the room and there is a very sizable gash over his left eye. I drop my hands to my sides and take a step towards him but think better of it.

“It’s really not in S.H.I.E.L.D.’s best interest to put two Asgardian gods in the same room right now. Especially after one of you apparently possesses a set of abnormal powers you can’t exactly control,” Tony says, deadpan. “I don’t know why I’m even that surprised.”