𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢. Avoid the Problem

𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙨𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣 — 𝙖𝙫𝙤𝙞𝙙 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙥𝙧𝙤𝙗𝙡𝙚𝙢

          "HARRY, I MADE a mistake," Peter announced that night as he slammed the door to their dorm, a distressed look on his face.

Harry, who had been typing on his computer, stopped and looked at the Parker boy with a suspicious gaze as he raised an eyebrow. He wasn't terribly concerned, Peter was known to be very dramatic, but it did raise flags that Peter was going to him and not Ned or calling MJ. "What is it?" he cautiously asked.

Peter emitted a groan, flopping down on his bed, moving his face to the side so that he could speak clearly. "Brendon asked me out today," he said.

Harry grinned, but only for a second, but coughing to hide what he had done. Of course Peter was in distress and here he was, grinning like a mad man proud of his friend for holding up their agreement but also finally making a damn move on his crush. Harry was tired of hearing about how great Peter was or having Cindy complain to him about how often Brendon talked about Peter's eyes or abs or whatever.

But looking at Peter, he looked so terribly broken and bad and that...that didn't look good. It was not a look he would expect from the statement he had previously said. He expected joy, nervousness sure, but mostly unbounded happiness that someone finally made a move and they were getting this show on the road. Not...not sadness. Not terror.

This was not right. Harry had been so sure that Peter liked Brendon back, everyone had, and they couldn't all be wrong. It had been so obvious, Peter was the absolute worst at keeping secrets, and he couldn't have fooled everyone about this. They had to be right, but the expression on his face made Harry feel like they had all been terribly wrong.

"Um, so what happened?" Harry asked, "I-I mean, why is Brendon asking you out such a bad thing?"

"It isn't!" Peter cried, hiding his face in his bed for a minute while Harry grew even more perplexed.

So it wasn't a bad thing, which meant they were right and Peter liked Brendon and they were going on a date...then why was he looking like this? Was it a prank? Was Brendon trying to get his revenge on Harry and asked Peter to guilt him into thinking he had done something terribly wrong by making the deal on the first place? Because that's how he was feeling right now.

"Um..."

"It's a great thing, it is. I-I've been trying to get myself to do it for at least a month now," Peter continued, "But he asked me and, you know, I was so shocked because I didn't think he liked me at all – well, at least not romantically or anything."