FOURTY

FOURTY 

"This is everything non-lethal we could find," Allison informed her father as me, Mr. Stilinski, Derek, Chris, and Allison walk into her dad's office. I ended up staying the night at Allison's.

"Take all of it." Chris told us. There was ropes, torches, chains.

Allison had grabbed a bag. "What's the plan here?" Mr. Stilinski asked.

"Our best shot right now is for Derek to try and pick up Stiles' scent at the Eichen House," Chris explained. "Especially, if he went through something stressful there."

"Should all five of us being going to the same place?" Mr. Stilinski asked.

"Where else has Stiles been showing up?" Allison and I looked at each other.

"School, the hospital," I answer.

"Okay, hold on, we did this already," Derek pointed out. "He disappeared. We started looking for him. Then walked right into a trap at the hospital."

"He's getting us to repeat the same moves," Chris said.

"So, what do we do? Wait for him to come to us?" I asked, cocking my head towards Chris.

"We can't. Not if the Oni finds him when the sun goes down." Derek said.

"Scott's working on them right now, with Kira," I informed everyone.

"That's the problem." I turn my head towards Chris. "We're all trying to outfox the fox."

"Listen. I'll understand if anyone wants to back out." Mr. Stilinski said.

"It wouldn't be the first wolf to run from a fox," Derek commented.

"Apparently, I'm carrying a lightsaber," Chris chuckled.

"Dad, you, me, and Derek's head over to the Eichen. Stacey, it's you and Sheriff in the hospital." Allison ordered, and I nodded. "We all meet in the school."

All right, let's do this.

Mr. Stilinski and I enter the elevator that took place in the hospital. It was silent. Usually, Stiles was here, with us, to make things not awkward. I sigh.

"You know what, I don't know how you guys do this." Mr. Stilinski smiled, shaking his head. "You're all so strong." I put a hand through my hair. "You're fearless. Hell, you even manage to keep your grades up."

I chuckle sadly. "I am failing Econ."

"Is that Coach's class?" Mr. Stilinski asked, and I nodded.

"You know, normally, Stiles and I would study for Econ. But, uh, he's hasn't been around much..." I trailed off.

"Well, I'll have a talk with him." Mr. Stilinski offered, I sniff. I felt tears prickling in my eyes, I exhale deeply, you can do this. Mr. Stilinski then flicked the elevator stopped button, and the elevator stops. I look down, trying my hardest not to cry. "Hey, are you okay?"

"I'm not..." I whisper. "Fearless. I'm terrified. I'm always terrified... of losing him, he's been my rock, clearly, for so long I just... I act like I know what I'm doing, but I don't. I don't know if Isaac's dying right now. I don't know if I get to see Stiles' again, or if we've lost him." I then broke down, stepping back. Tears stream down on my face. "I don't know anything."

Mr. Stilinski confronted me, giving me a hug. He wrapped his arms around me. He rubs his hand up and down my back soothingly. "You know what's funny?" Mr. Stilinski whispers. "You sound just like a cop."

I chuckle, closing my eyes, embracing him. "Stiles would want to see us right now." I sniff, wiping a tear. We let go, Mr. Stilinski holding my arms as they were cross.

"Hey," Mr. Stilinski softly said, and I meet his gaze. "You're gonna be okay, and you know he broke up with you to keep you safe, right?" I nodded, pressing my lips together. "Okay," I wipe under my eyes as Mr. Stilinski flipped the on button, but he got a text. He soon pulled out his phone.

"What's that?" I ask softly, seeing the alert on his phone.

"Someone's breaking into my house." My heart jumped. What? "After Stiles' started sleepwalking, I had some security precautions put in." Mr. Stilinski opened up an app. "Motion sensors. Cameras."

"That's his room." I murmur, my eyes widen, as I spot Stiles on the screen... or Void Stiles sitting on his bed, staring straight up at the camera. "Oh, my god." Stiles had slowly lifted his hand up, and waved, knowing we would be watching.

"What is all this?" Chris asked. I look down at the chess board game, you know, the one that Stiles' used to explain to his father what everyone is. "What are these sticky notes for?"

Derek, Allison, Chris, Mr. Stilinski and I gather around the board in Stiles' room. "This is what Stiles and Stacey used to try and explain to me about all of you." Mr. Stilinski said, obviously recognising it.

"Well, maybe it's a message from Stiles." Allison said, looking down at the board. "The real Stiles." My heart fluttered, the real Stiles. Okay, stop it, Stacey. Derek turned his head towards me, rolling his eyes at me.

I harden my eyes at him. "You think there's any reason why my name's on the King?" Derek asked.

"Well, your heavily guarded." Mr. Stilinski said. "Though I guess he alarming detail is that you're one move from being checkmate."

"Oh, I thought it was because Derek was highmindedness." I joke, causing Derek to glare at me.

"It's not a message from Stiles," Chris said. "It's a threat from the Nogitsune."

"He's at the loft. That's what he's trying to tell us." Allison puts in.

"And he wants us to come there."

"Night's falling." I add as I walk over to Stiles' window.

"This couldn't sound any more like a trap," Chris snapped.

"I don't think it is." Mr. Stilinski said.

"I think your opinions may be slightly biased, Sheriff," Chris told him. I walk over to Stiles bed and sat on it. This was the spot he had sat on. I grab his pillow and I hugged it, it smells like Stiles.

"Hear me out." Mr. Stilinski quickly said. "What we're dealing with here is basically someone who lacks motive. No rhyme, no reason, right?"

"Meaning what?"

"Our enemy is not a killer." I finished Mr. Stilinski's sentence, who nodded. "It's a trickster. The killing is just a by-product."

"If you guys are trying to say it won't kill us, I'm not feeling too confident about that." Derek said.

"It won't. It wants Irony," Mr. Stilinski continued. "It wants to play a trick. It wants a joke. All we need to do is come up with a new punch line."

"The sun is setting, Sheriff." Chris reminded us. "What do you have in mind?"