TWENTY-THREE

TWENTY-THREE 

I sat in class, Coach's class. Stiles sat behind me, and Scott in front of me. The coach was doing a reading. I had slid down in my stairs, as he reads. "Stilinski?" I heard Coach suddenly ask, and I turn my head around and saw that my boyfriend who was writing some on his page. "Stilinski!" Coach then blew the whistle, which made me cover my ears. 

"Uh-uh?" Stiles woke up, uneasy. My heart hammered for him. 

"I asked you a question." Coach snapped. I turn to Coach, cringing. 

"Uh... sorry, Coach, what was it?" Stiles asks. This was so Stiles unlike.  

"It was, uh, Stilinski, are you still paying attention back there?" Coach told him.  

"Oh. Well, I am now." Stiles slowly said. 

"Stilinski, stop reminding me why I drink... every night." Coach then turned to the board. I turn to Stiles. "Does anyone else want to try the question on the board?" 

Stiles looked at me, a little bit of worriedness in his eyes and confusion.

"I'm okay, I just fell asleep for a second." Stiles murmured to me, and I looked over at Scott who was watching Stiles.  

"Stiles... you weren't asleep." I told him, my eyes widening. I look down on his paper and read. Wake up and he just turned his page over. 

Allison, Scott, Isaac, Lydia, Stiles, and I sit at a table outside for lunch. Stiles and I were next to each other, my hand placed on his thigh for comfort, and his hand placed on my hand that was on his thigh. Scott was beside us, and Allison, Lydia, and Isaac sit opposite. 

"Okay," Scott started looking down at his book. "So what happens to a person who has a near-death experience and comes out of it seeing things?" 

 "And is unable to tell what's real or not?" Stiles added. 

"And is being haunted by demonic visions of a dead relative?" Allison adds on, and I roll my eyes. 

"You really think the dictionary has an answer for that?" I scoff. 

"They're all locked up because they're insane." Isaac said. 

"Ha," Stiles said unamused. "Can you at least try and be helpful, please?" 

"For half my childhood, I was locked in a freezer." Isaac smirk and I roll my eyes at the two bickering. "So, being helpful is kind of a new thing for me." 

"Hey, dude, are you still milking that?" Stiles asked, in a mocking tone. 

"Yeah, maybe I am." 

"Guys, shut up." I groan, putting my head down on the table much like my brother did beside me. 

"Hi." A new voice comes in, and I look up at the same time as my brother, it was Kira. The new girl. "Hi, sorry, I couldn't help but overhearing what you guys were talking about." My eyes widen. "And I think I actually might know what you're talking about. There's a Tibetan word for it. It's called Bardo. It literally means in-between state. The state between life and death." 

"And what do they call you?" My strawberry blonde best friend asked, cocking her head up towards Kira. I roll my eyes.

"Kira." Scott answered. Kira smiled. 

"Kira, Kira Yukimura," I said in a James-bond voice-like, and Stiles smirked over at me, wrapping an arm around me. Everyone looked at us. 

"She's in our History class." Scott said, in a duh tone. 

"So are you talking Bardo in Tibetan Buddism or Indian?" Lydia asked leaning forward. 

Kira took a seat next to Stiles, and we squeeze in. "Either, I guess. But all the stuff you guys were just saying? All that happens in Bardo. There are different progressive states here you can have hallucinations. Some you see, some you hear. And you can be by visited by peaceful and wrathful deities." 

"Wrathful deities?" Isaac asked. "And what are those?" 

"Like demons." Kira shrugged. How does new girl know all of this? 

"Demon." Stiles nodded. He turned to me. "Why not?" I let out a chuckle. 

"Hold on, if there were different progressive states, then what's the last one?" Allison asked. 

"Death. You die." Kira said shyly. All our eyes were wide, and I felt a hand move to my thigh, and I knew it was Stiles'. He moved closer to me.