➵ 0.1 - michael

Dares were fun, especially under the influence. But sometimes they were fun even sober. Which was what they were doing right now.

"That one," Luke pointed at a girl standing behind the counter. "Get her number."

Michael eyed the redhead, who was glaring at her nails. She looked as though she would rather be anywhere that wasn't Taco Bell.

"Dude, she looks too.. pissed off," Michael hesitated.

"That's the fun," Calum grinned. "It'll be great watching you fail miserably."

Michael hated his friends, he really did. He didn't want to ask the redhead for her number and embarrass himself in front of everyone. But he also didn't want to be the victim of taunting insults for the next week. He would have to swallow his pride tonight and man up.

He sighed and got up from their table, running his hands through his red and black hair. "Watch and learn, boys." He grinned, faking the confidence that he lacked.

Michael made his way to the counter, where the girl didn't even bother looking up. He made a big show of reading over the menu and cleared his throat. "Hi, um, I'd like to place my order."

The pretty redhead, whose name tag was covered by her hair, glanced at him. "I'm sorry, but my shift is over. You'll have to wait a few seconds until someone else comes out."

Michael didn't like her tone. She didn't sound sorry at all. If anything, she sounded bored to death. "Well, since you're here, why don't you take my order so I can get back to my friends?"

The girl looked up this time, glaring at Michael now. Her green eyes were surrounded by black lines, making them more prominent. "I said I'm done working for the night. Waiting a couple minutes won't kill you."

Jeez, Michael thought. Someone's on her period.

Michael could feel his friends staring at him making a fool out of himself. He tried a different approach. "Why so angry?"

The girl flipped her bright hair over her shoulder, revealing her name. Jade. Pretty.

"What's it to you?" she snapped. "Listen, I'm not working right now and I'm not obligated to be polite. So, please, unless you have something worth saying, just leave me alone."

Michael flinched inwardly at her harsh words, but kept a cool demeanor. He gave her that charming smile, the one that always won over all the other girls. "Well, Jade, I think you could use a friend right about now. How about you come out from behind that counter and I'll treat you to something nice."

Just then a guy their age came out from behind Jade and addressed Michael. "Hi, can I help you?"

Jade huffed. "Yeah, help him, Daniel. Serve him something nice." She turned on her heels and walked out, leaving Michael standing alone. He watched her walk through the small space and out the door.

"Hey, man, are you ready to order?" The guy, Daniel, asked.

"Forget it," Michael mutter and went after Jade, knowing his friends were probably pissing themselves. He didn't even get her to smile at him, let alone find out her number. "Hey, wait up!"

Jade froze in the middle of the small parking lot and swiveled around, ice in her green eyes. "What the fuck do you want, Michael Clifford?"

Michael was caught off guard. He was not expecting Taco Bell girl to know his name. "How do you know who I am?"

She let out a bitter, humorless laugh. "Just because you're clueless of your surroundings doesn't mean everyone else is too."

Michael didn't know how to respond to that. He had no idea what she meant by that or how she knew him. At this point, he just wanted her number so that he could show the boys and be done with it.

They stared at each other for a few seconds before Jade spoke. "Get going, pretty boy. Don't waste your time."

Just then someone walked up to them and stood next to Jade, putting his arm around her shoulders.

"What's going on?" As Michael furrowed his eyebrows, he realized it was his neighbor. Ashton Irwin. Suddenly, Michael wanted nothing to do with this girl.

"Nothing's going on. You're dropping me home and he's going back to his friends." Jade's voice made it clear that she wasn't in the mood to joke around.

Ashton raised his eyebrows at Michael, as if looking for his confirmation. "Yeah, um, I'm going inside," Michael stuttered and cursed himself for being such a fucking idiot. He didn't want to seem afraid of Ashton, even though he was. Especially now that it was clear that he was friends with Jade. He didn't want to get involved in something stupid.

"Great," Ashton nodded and turned around with Jade tucked under his arm. Maybe they were more than friends. Just as Michael was about to go back inside and face his cruel friends, Jade turned and looked over shoulder.

She gave Michael a cocky smile, one that said, I told you to stay away.

And with that, she was gone and Michael was left wondering just what the hell he would tell Luke and Calum.

*•*•*

The two dickheads could not shut up. So he lost one dare. Big deal. It wasn't like she was the only girl left in the world. But before they even left Taco Bell, Michael vowed that he would come back until he got Jade's number. He would do it and shove it in Luke and Cal's faces.

But there had been something about her that felt eerily familiar to Michael. Maybe it was her name or her fiery hair or her pale skin, Michael couldn't put his finger on it. He thought he had seen her somewhere, but he couldn't remember running into her before. Shaking his head, he cleared his mind of the pretty redhead who somehow knew his name and was friends with his neighbor. He came out to have a good time and he fully intended on doing that before going back to school tomorrow.

Girls with red hair and green eyes would have to wait.

-

okay so this is a new story and i'm really excited please vote bc it helps and motivates me to write more! if you think you might like this, comment 'chicken'

also this chapter is dedicated to Michele aka xdesolate bc Black Ice and Florence are two of my favorite stories right now

until next time -S