➵ 4.5 - jade

"Can we take a break?" Michael asked for about the fourth time in the last half hour. They'd been walking around the mall for almost three hours without finding any decent dresses. Every store they went to was filled with sparkling pinks and reds that Jade wasn't interested in. Although she didn't want to be the center of attention, she also didn't want to dress up as Cinderella and look like every other girl present.

"Don't be a wuss," Jade said. She was walking just ahead of Michael, leading him into another shop, hoping she would find something so they could go home.

Michael grabbed her wrist, causing her to stop abruptly and bump right into his chest. "I'm begging you." He looked absolutely miserable, like this was the worst decision he'd ever made.

Jade sighed. Prom was literally just around the corner and she was afraid she would be going in jeans and a T-shirt. She wouldn't mind that, but she didn't want to take the piss out of the whole day. "Okay, let's go here and then we can take a break."

"Fine," Michael huffed. He was still hellbent on paying for it - not that Jade could pay even if she wanted to because she was beyond broke- so she couldn't pick something too grandiose. She wasn't even looking at anything beyond fifty or sixty dollars. Jade walked around the small shop without much luck. Most of the dresses were bright red that sparkled a little too much.

"Evelyn, I said no," a male voice hissed quietly from near Jade. She turned around and found a guy who looked a few years older than her and a girl who actually went to the same school as Jade. She clearly looked uncomfortable and the guy had a death grip on her wrist.

"Please. Don't do this," the girl whimpered quietly and the brief exchange made Jade's blood boil with rage. Partly because the guy's name was Zach and partly because of what he was doing.

Jade stepped away from the racks of dresses and put a bright smile on her face, eagerly walking towards the couple. "Evelyn!" she said with just the right amount of excitement in her voice. "I haven't talked to you in ages!" She could feel Michael and the douche staring at her, but she really didn't care. "How are you?" Jade put her arms around the girl and pulled her away from the asshole. "Just play along," she whispered in her ear.

Evelyn immediately relaxed in Jade's arms and hugged her back, letting out a genuinely excited laugh. "I'm great. God, it's been so long, it's so nice to see you."

Jade pulled back and continued smiling like nothing was wrong. "Looking for a dress too? I swear, this whole prom thing is so old now."

"Yeah, I was just - " Before she could finish her sentence, Zach cleared his throat obnoxiously. Evelyn looked over to him and Jade could see her eyes cloud over with fear again. "Oh, this is Zach."

Jade nodded at him. "I'm Jade." It was then that she noticed what he was wearing. It was a black T-shirt with a graphic on it that didn't surprise Jade at all. It only made her angrier. It was showing a girl on her knees with her hands tied behind her back and her mouth taped shut. The caption underneath it read, Don't Forget Where You Belong.

"There's an American Eagle right across the street," she said in a steely tone. "I'd change that shirt if I were you."

Zach's deep black eyes landed on Michael. "She with you? Keep a leash on her, man."

Michael took a step closer but Jade didn't give him a chance to say anything. She knew how to defend herself. She knew how to deal with this kind very well. "Keep your fucking mouth shut." She grabbed Evelyn's hand and held up the arm he was holding only minutes ago, showing him the light bruise that was already forming. "Fuck with me and I'll tell everyone what you're doing."