19 // a wren.

_____________________________

19 // a wren.

"Lesra, stop poking me," Wren mumbled into my hair the next morning.

We were in a spooning position and his arm had some how found its way draped over my stomach. Under the covers we were fully clothed but our legs were tangled together. I was still on the brink of sleep but the baby's strong kicks had woke me up and now Wren too.

I smiled softly. "That's not me. It's the baby."

He chuckled once he felt another kick under his hand. "She's an early bird."

I rolled onto my back and looked over at him.

His eyes moved to my stomach. Using the hand that was already resting there, he began to move it in circles. "Hopefully you're not an early bird. Daddy will need all the sleep he can get when you're here." 

His eyes met my gaze, causing my pulse to quicken. He removed his hand from my stomach and placed it on top of my hand. "I feel like I've never officially apologized for being so rude to you in the beginning. Especially forcing you to live here and chaperoning you like you were a kid. I guess Shawna's controlling side rubbed off on me a bit but I can't blame her for my previous behavior."

"I accept your apology."

Wren nodded, rubbing his hand up and down my arm and leaving behind a trail of goose bumps. "Pregnant women are much more stronger than I originally thought. Both the physical and emotional changes you women have to go through in such a short amount of time," he smiled. "It's so fascinating how a person can nurture and carry another human being inside of them for nine months straight and then push them out of such a small..place," he finished off.

"They say that the most rewarding part is when you get to see and hold your child for the first time. It makes it all worth it. Except of course in my situation," I laughed nervously.

He swallowed; I watched his adams apple bobble up and down. "Well, hopefully when you see her for the first time, all this shit we've put you through will be worth it."

I gave a half smile, not sure what to think. "You'll get to see her in only three more months." 

"Wow, we're already in the third trimester, huh?"

"Yep," I replied, before going on to play with the bottom hem of my shirt. It was then that I realized how time had really flew by.

"And then that's it...?" He questioned. I could feel his hazel eyes on my face as I continued to look down. I knew that question didn't only refer to the pregnancy.

I shrugged and turned to face him. At the beginning of this whole journey, I only came to do one thing and to get one thing out. The part of me that wanted to leave and never look back was still apparent. However, there was another part of me that was curious about what could happen after, even with the whole situation with Shawna.

On another note, I still had my mother to think about. When she first got sick, I denied myself any kind of serious relationship. I wanted her to be my number one priority- making sure she was okay and comfortable. I knew that a man would only get in the way of that. However, now that she was getting better each day, was it still necessary for me to deny myself that? 

I placed one of my hands on Wrens strong leg and leaned up to kiss him on the cheek. I closed my eyes and smiled inwardly once I felt the prickly hairs that had begun to grow on his face.

I pulled back, still leaving my hand on his pant covered leg. "One day at a time?"

He picked up my hand in his, squeezed it and then sent a grin my way.