16.1.13

16.1

Dear Diary.

I have figured out why my belly was sore before, and I'm not happy about it. I woke up yesterday and my sheets were all red with blood, at first I panicked thinking I'd hurt myself somehow but then Mum saw and she just hugged me. She signed to me that it was my period, that I'd finally gotten it, and now I have to start wearing pads in my undies. I'm not looking forward to doing this every month. The pad feels really weird, like there's something in my undies but I can't get rid of it.

Mum has been supportive of me with my new 'womaness', she's given me tablets to make the pains go away, but she told me not to take them too much, because they stop the pain, but make the period heavier. They make me bleed more.

It's kind of interesting though, I understand a little better why this one girl in my math class is always going to the toilet, maybe she has her period? I don't know. Why am I even writing this?

Aunty rang today, she told Mum to tell me that she'll be coming over on the weekend to make me a cake. Mum and Aunty talk with video chat, so that Aunty can read Mums sign language. I can't wait for the cake, Aunty cooks really well, especially cakes and stuff.

I talked to Lucy again today, she said she had the boy over at her place again last night, and they made cookies. I didn't know it was possible for a boy to cook, I thought it was only a girl thing. She said he made a lot of jokes about women staying in the kitchen, and that her Mum was angry with him for making them. He had said things like, 'Why did the woman get hit by a car? Why does it matter, she should have been in the kitchen.'

I don't get what's wrong with it, not really anyway. I mean, I told Mum, and she frowned and signed that they were 'sexist' jokes, and that's why they were bad. But she didn't tell me what 'sexist' was, so I still don't know why they were bad.

I have to go now, I want to write a little more, but nothing important. It's dinner time.

-Tonya