Chapter 50: In Need

The door to his bedroom clicked and opened and woke Snape out of his reverie. He quickly stood up and watched as Hermione came gracefully gliding out in formal robes, appropriate for the courtroom. He sucked his breath in as she smiled and let her thin, silky crème cloak wave behind her as she came forward in anticipation although still somewhat embarrassed from the earlier incident. Her wet hair had been dried and tied into a loose bun at the nape of her neck with curls framing her lovely blushing face and in that instant, Snape had forgotten about everything but the witch in front of him. She sighed and slumped a little, seeming still exhausted from the previous day or just still sleepy from him waking her up.

"Are you ready?" she whispered quietly, looking up to him for comfort and reassurance. Snape composed himself quickly,

"Before we leave, I must speak with you, Hermione." He motioned towards the couch and Hermione gave a brief look of confusion before frowning and sitting.

"If it's about Cho, I honestly didn't know she was coming, she wanted to see if I was alright-"

Snape waved his hand lazily, "That is insignificant at the moment and not what I wanted to discuss."

Hermione slumped forward, relieving her shoulders of the stiff posture she was holding before, "Oh good, I was worried you would be upset."

Snape huffed, "Well I am not happy about finding her in my own private quarters but I will deal with that later," Hermione bit her lip and gave an apologetic glance to him before he continued, "As soon as we leave through that door, you and I will no longer exist. Understand? I will be your professor and you will be my apprentice and former student. Nothing more."

Hermione nodded, "Of course."

He eyed her, "I am quite serious. When we get to the Ministry, one slip up could absolutely ruin everything."

"Yes, Sir." She bowed her head slightly.

Snape slipped a hand under her chin so she would look at him, "No matter what happens today," he breathed, "my feelings will never falter. I cannot stress it enough to you."

She fluttered her eyes quickly, trying to blink away any threatening tears that could come her way, "I know."

"And even if I am sent away-"

"Don't talk like that!" Hermione interjected, upset. She folded her hands together tightly.

He rested a hand over her own and sighed, "It is a possibility. If I am sent away, you must carry on and become what I have trained you for. You must become the next Master and teach the generations of students to come."

She shook her head and gave slight growl that was low and full of hurt, "Not without you."

He raised his voice a little louder and sternly reprimanded her, "Hermione."

She wrinkled her nose and turned from him but he caught her chin and brought it back to him but she averted her gaze stubbornly, "Hermione, look at me."

Slowly, her caramel eyes rested on him and he sighed, "I know I gave you such a terrible time about never amounting to anything, but surely you must know it was all talk," she ripped out of his grasp, not wanting to look at him anymore, but he quickly found her cheek and used it to guide her back to him, "You, my dear, are the only one I would ever approve of taking my post. You are the only one who can fulfill even more and accomplish the impossible of what comes with the position. The only person I want to take my place is," he smiled softly, "the insufferable know-it-all who could never seem to keep her hand down in my class."

Hermione watched him sadly, her breathing was uneven and the mood was grim but Snape brought her hand to his lips and gave her a soft kiss on her knuckles, "Please do this for me if I am unable to come back with you."