Chapter 37: Severus

Once Snape softly shut the door behind him, his gaze met Hermione's forlorn and lost expression, "Miss Granger…" he sighed as he walked to her quietly and led her into her room, "You must change out of your current attire, you are soaking wet from the snow… I don't want you getting a cold."

Hermione nodded and said nothing as she walked to her closet and disappeared as Snape took a deep breath, not comfortable with his surroundings. He had promised the young witch he would stay with her so he knew he needed to just relax. He caught his reflection in the mirror hanging opposite him on the wall and he winced, so much for looks. Snape was getting older by the day and his appearance was reflecting it. His eyes had dark circles under them, his hair was more messy than usual, his skin seemed to sag more, showing deep set wrinkles and his eyes were bloodshot. He was such a sad excuse for the man he used to be. He used to pride himself on his appearance to a point that would be presentable to most and now, looking into the mirror, he just saw an old man.

He still could not understand or even begin to comprehend the reasons behind Hermione's attraction to him at all. He was definitely not in shape… his coat was a little tighter than when he was younger, his hair hung in strings, longer than normal and his wrinkles… oh his wrinkles, not to mention the silver that was making its notorious entrance throughout his charcoal black hair, announcing his age to the world. His birthday was coming up soon… the ninth of January. He was just another year closer to forty and he was dreading it. He had been aging much worse than a normal man or wizard would at his age. He was still in his thirties and he appeared to be years older. He could remember when he was Hermione's age and thought the world was his. Those were the days not to be forgotten.

Snape stood a little straighter when he saw the most beautiful witch he had ever seen exit her closet, wiping at her caramel eyes. Her hair was out of the braid and the golden brown waves billowed down her back like a sea of gold. Hermione was wearing an oversized sweater in Gryffindor colors that looked to be handmade and fell past her hips and slipped off her shoulder with sweatpants that made a puddle at the floor because of her short stature. Even though she looked miserable, she was still stunning and he had to mentally chastise himself for taking advantage of her appearance in her sad state. Hermione quietly climbed into her large bed and watched him with a sad smile on her face. Why did she like him so much? Snape saw no redeeming quality in himself that could satisfy the poor girl but he tried not to over think the situation and he glided to her side, pulling the covers up to her chest. He retrieved a chair from the corner to sit at her side but heard a disapproving whimper from the girl wrapped up in the plush sheets.

His head turned back to her in confusion, "Would you rather me stand?" he made it sound like he was upset but he meant his question in virtue and honesty.

Silent tears were still rolling down her raw cheeks as she outstretched her arm for him, "Here." Once he took her hand, she pulled him to the edge of the bed to sit next to her.

He was going to argue that it was not appropriate but bit his tongue, knowing that it was not meant suggestively, but innocently to be comforted by the man she claimed to love. Snape sat down on the edge and watched her salty tears make familiar paths down her face

Hermione grabbed his hand and he almost jumped, not used to her freezing cold fingers. She was always so warm, he pulled his hand back instinctively but regretted it to see hurt laced through her eyes as extra tears were spilled because of his foolishness, "You are ice cold," he whispered to her softly, trying to explain his rash actions, before getting up and pointing his wand to the fireplace, "Incendio!"

A large fire erupted from the wood and the room instantly felt much warmer and had a soft glow to the surroundings rather than the scarce light of the candle by the bedside. He slowly returned to her side and resumed his spot on the side of the bed, "That should fix the problem; you will be warmed up in just a moment."