Chapter 14: A Pensieve

"Are you sure you want me to go with you?" Harry asked Hermione as they stood over the bowl of swirling liquid after he had poured the memory in.

Hermione took a deep breath, trying to calm herself, "Yes, I don't think I can do this alone."

"Alright," Harry turned towards Hermione and held her hands in his, "and Hermione, whatever happens, whatever we see, we are in this together. I am here for you every step of the way."

She smiled, "Thanks Harry. Let's get on with this."

They both stuck their wands in the bowl and were sucked into the glowing liquid of Snape's memory...

"Minerva, I must insist on putting a stop to this. I will not be made a fool of and taken pity on!" Snape hissed, standing straight with a disapproving expression on his face.

McGonagall sighed, "You know, as well as I, that she would be the only one capable of fully replacing your absence when you move to Defense against the Dark Arts... and what if something happens to you? We almost lost you once..."

"If that is what it takes to become the teacher of the subject, then I decline your previous offer. I will not work with that.... Girl." He spat.

"Be reasonable, Severus."

He started to pace, "Is it not enough what I did for Dumbledore? Must you now set me in a place of ridicule? I had to protect the boy and now I must teach the girl?"

"She would do great things with the knowledge you possess. Will your life revolve around Lily forever? Or will you choose to do something for yourself?"

He stared at Professor McGonagall very harshly, "I should have been dead. I shouldn't have been saved. I didn't want it. I lived for her. Now I have nothing."

"Well I will remind you that you are still well and alive, Severus. Don't do this because I asked you. If you do not wish to tutor Miss Granger, then I will have no complaint." She stood up and walked over to him, placing a hand on his arm; he flinched, but did not move as she continued,

"I just urge you to live. Having your knowledge passed onto another is one of the greatest accomplishments we can ever achieve."

He turned his gaze away from her.

"It is your choice." She sighed, turning from him.

Hermione and Harry watched the two in silence until another memory took its place, waking both of them up from their concentration on the words that had been said.

"I am your apprentice Sir, and if the first thing I need to learn is the ingredients you want me to sort through, then I will gladly follow your instructions."

He raised a brow, "Granger why are you so eager to make a fool out of yourself?"

Hermione bit her tongue, "I am just trying to follow your orders, Professor. You told me I shouldn't be dressed up to clean out your potions closet, so here I am..."

Snape stood up quickly out of his seat and towered over Hermione, "Are you trying to be smart with me, Miss Granger?"

She shook her head and met his gaze, "No, but as your apprentice, I must do your bidding and become slave to your menial chores that you are too lazy to do!"

"Bravo, Hermione." Harry murmured to his friend.

"Listen!" Hermione watched herself.

She clapped a hand over her mouth...