Chapter 33: Calm Before The Storm

Snape hurried into the Great Hall, hoping that Hermione had not departed yet. He smirked as his eyes rested on the young witch sitting alone at the head table with owls perched all around her. She appeared quite overwhelmed with the Christmas gifts they had brought to her. Not many students were left in the hall and Snape wondered if Hermione was waiting until the last minute, hoping that he would show. Why can't I get over myself and be nice to the poor girl? He berated himself silently as he walked up the steps to his seat. Hermione didn't even notice him sit down as she was sucking the blood from her finger that had just received a good bite from an angry owl.

"You filthy bird!" she cried out softly, glaring at it.

He smirked, "I think he wants a reward for his long journey."

Hermione almost jumped out of her seat but smiled at him, "Oh Professor! You scared me!"

Snape tossed a piece of a biscuit to the irate barn owl who caught it in the air and swallowed it gratefully, "Get out of here!" he swatted all the owls to get them off the table and away from the food.

"Thank you!" she sighed in relief and examined her professor; he looked quite frazzled, like he had ran his hands through his hair too many times and his face had more color to it, like he had been hustling to get somewhere… was it to get to her? She smiled, "I thought you weren't coming?"

He raised an eyebrow, "You told me it would be my Christmas gift to you," he smirked, "Merry Christmas, Miss Granger." He mumbled sarcastically before sitting back in his seat with his glass of wine.

Hermione laughed, "You are a little late don't you think?"

"I am here now, isn't that all that matters?" he took a small sip of his wine before sitting back up and grabbing one of her packages to inspect it, "Why haven't you opened any of your gifts? It is Christmas after all." He set it down in front of her.

"I must admit that I am somewhat terrified at what could be in these gifts," she murmured, tucking her hair behind her ear and picking up the small box that Snape had set in front of her; she sighed, "They are from the Weasley's…"

Snape eyed her and sarcastically remarked, "That must be quite terrifying."

She snapped her head towards him, "Why can't you pleasant… for one day out of the school year, can't you be sweet?"

He wanted to laugh, "Do you know who you are talking to?"

Hermione smiled and handed him one of her packages knowing it was from George which meant it was probably a charmed prank or something of the sort, "Help me open them."

Reading who it was from, he rolled his eyes, "Do you take me for a fool or do you really think I wouldn't notice the label?" he tossed it back on the table to see the package explode. It had enough explosives inside to set the box aflame, "That is exactly why," he pointed towards the burning package, "I kept the Weasleys in detention. Especially the twins."

She chuckled, "I wouldn't have minded to see you open it."

He scoffed and swirled the wine around in his glass before taking another long sip, "Detention, Miss Granger."

Hermione rolled her eyes at the empty threat before hesitantly picking up another parcel wrapped in bright green paper. Snape jeered at her, "You look like you are about to open a bomb."

She raised an eyebrow at him, "You would be surprised what I have opened with the Weasleys and Harry," Hermione laughed to herself before saying aloud, "I received a muggle electrical outlet cover from Mr. Weasley just a few days ago."

Snape just gave her a look that read of disbelief and then shook his head in disgust before silently taking another drink from his glass. Hermione turned back to the box in her hands that was labeled to be from Harry. She smiled at the messy handwriting before ripping through the paper to reveal a muggle survival kit which included a swiss knife, medical first aid kit, and emergency flares. Putting a hand over her mouth to try to stifle a laugh, she read a small note that he had taped to the plastic box,