Chapter 17: voluntary

Hermione jumped back as Snape swung his wand towards her and made the door literally slam shut in her face. There she was, finally admitting to her infant feelings that were starting to slowly grow, which was a really sensitive subject for her, and he slams a door in her face! She sighed… if she were in his position she would probably do the same thing. Hermione remembered setting her charmed canaries on Ron when he first started dating Lavender in their sixth year… Hermione decided it was best to retreat to her room for the night. She was shocked at herself for confessing her feelings to him, however simple and vague it might have been, she still admitted feeling something and that was more than enough for her… and it seemed to be almost too much for Professor Snape.

How did she even fall for him? What attracted her to him? The long, unkempt black hair? The sour disposition? The complicated baggage that he had with Harry's parents and the war? Or the fact that he was the Slytherin head of house, the most feared teacher in Hogwarts, and had been one of her lifelong enemies throughout her school years? She couldn't explain it to herself, but she now recognized her feelings, thanks to a little prodding from Mrs. Weasley. To put her mind at ease before going to bed, she tried to find one redeeming quality about him that she was attracted to… Hermione decided that courage and bravery was one of her favorite characteristics. With everything he had done in his life, she could honestly say that he probably had more valor than even she, a Gryffindor!

Hermione fell into a more peaceful slumber than she had had in over two years since before the war. When she woke up she realized that a huge weight was off her shoulders; yes she was at Snape's disposal much more so than before and she would probably be slaving away for him for the rest of her miserable life, but an emotional load was finally lifted that Hermione had never realized before… a weight that she had guessed had been added on since the death of her Potions Master. Hermione swung her legs off the bed and waltzed over to bathroom, elated at her newfound joy. She wanted to look presentable for him. Hermione laughed, she couldn't believe she was trying to impress Professor Snape with her looks, rather than to just be his smartest student… she had to be the prettiest.

She slipped on a long burgundy dress that reminded her something that Professor McGonagall would wear except more modern in the fact that it hugged her waist. She buttoned up the back and then put on a black robe with golden embroidery on the hem of the sleeves and the collar. She did up the clasp of the robe and looked at herself in the long mirror in front her. It was definitely winter time so she was glad to be bundled up… she surprised herself at how grown up she looked. She was only eighteen after all… well… nineteen soon enough. Hermione tried on a stylish witch hat that Ginny had helped pick out but then quickly put back down… it probably appeared that she was trying way too hard. Why was she even trying to impress him? Hermione sighed and sat down at her vanity. She just barely started to recognize early feelings for him and now she was dressing to the nines for him? She laughed bitterly at herself as she threw off the ornate robe and stepped out of magically unbuttoned dress. Who did she think she was? He probably would never share even the slightest fancy for her… he was much older and much too in love with the woman from his childhood.

She slipped on a pair of her new jeans and a large cream knit sweater and made sure to put on her knee length boots… always making sure she put her shoes on before she forgot them! Hermione brushed out her hair, smoothing it down with some hair serum and used a quick glamour charm to add a little makeup to her plain face. Before she left for breakfast, she pulled on a thick chocolate brown cloak to keep warm and exited her room for the Great Hall. As she walked to the head table, she saw Professor Snape seated in his usual spot, taking small bites of whatever was on his plate and Hermione could tell that it was still full and he had most likely just arrived moments before she did. She sat down next to him,