And It Fades

Christine McVie:

I stand here frozen for a moment before taking a step back, hiding myself behind the curtain. “Christ!” I whisper, under my breath. 

It’s John! Why the hell is he here alone!? I never thought he’d come. 

I actually consider going up and talking to him, but I’m stopped by a slender blonde who joins his side. I see him say something to her and she bends over with laughter. It’s Sandra! 

I feel my stomach tie in knots and I lean back against the wall and shut my eyes. It breaks my heart to see him with another woman. My husband. I have to find Stevie. I fly back into the room with the fancy lamps and find Stevie talking to 3 men I don’t recognize. I come up behind her and whisper in her ear. “We need to go,now!”

She looks over her shoulder and sees the urgency in my face. She kindly dismissed herself from the conversation and I pull her by the arm away from the people. “Stevie, he’s here!” I say, swallowing hard. 

“What? Who?”

“John… he’s here with Sandra. We need to get outta here. I feel like my inside were just ripped out.”

Her expression switches to sympathy and she wraps her arm around my shoulders. “Are you sure?” She asks, as we head toward the door. 

We stop at another doorway and I point down the hallway. It makes my head spin all over again. Stevie takes a second to take in what she’s seeing and steers me the other direction. “Okay, let’s go home.”

Stevie Nicks:

Once we get back in the limo, I shut the door and we pull out of the driveway. Christine’s been awfully quiet ever since we left. I look over and see tears in the corners of her eyes. “Awe, Chris don’t get upset… He isn’t worth it. Here… I think  have a tissue.”

I pull one out of my clutch and she waves my hand away. “No no… I don’t need tissues. I’m not crying!”

She sniffles and wipes her under eyes. “I don’t see why I’m making myself out to be the victim here! I’m doing the same thing.” She says, matter-of-factly. 

I swear I’ve never seen her look so empty. “Are you sure, Chris?”

She nods her head, confidently. “Of course!”

“Would you like me to stay with you tonight? I don’t have to go back home, I can explain to Lindsey, later.”

“No, you go on home. I just want to be by myself tonight. I’ll be alright.” She says.

“Sure thing, Chris. You call me if you ned my though, alright?”

She nods her head and crosses her legs. I can tell she’s still hurt, but I don’t say anything. We sit in silence until we reach my house. I look over at her, still with a blank expression on her face. “Well, I guess I’ll see you tomorrow then, Chris.”

She gives me her best smile. “Thank you for coming out with me tonight, Stevie.”
“You’re welcome.”

I give her a kiss on the cheek before sliding out the door. “Just give me a ring if you need me.” I say. 

She nods her head and I shut the door an head towards the house. I step in the house and throw my things on the couch. I climb up the stairs and head toward the bedroom. I let my hair down and set the pins on the vanity. I feel arms coming around my middle and gasp as I look up in the mirror and see Linsey. “Shit! Lindsey, you scared the hell outta me.”
He laughs sinisterly and kisses the back of my neck. “How was the party, babe?”