Chapter XIV

Y/n's POV

"Will you be my girlfriend?"

My heart stopped, my breathing stopped, everything stopped. Was this real? It couldn't be, could it? Was a famous person really asking a nobody like me to be their girlfriend? No fucking way. I had to be dreaming. I pinched my arm.

"You're not dreaming babe," she spoke seeing what I did. I froze again. Sure we call each other babe all the time over text but for some reason hearing it out of her mouth was completely different. My face grew red. "Are you gonna answer or do I need to ask again?" She smiled and I didn't respond. "Will you be my girlfriend?"

I took a deep breath as I really thought about my answer. "No." I gave her a scared look.

Her face fell. "Gonna be honest I was expecting a yes."

"I'm sorry," I apologized. "It's just I don't want to drag you down."

"You're not going to."

"Oh really?" I raised an eyebrow. "A famous person like you dating a nobody disabled person like me. Totally not gonna drag you down."

"I don't care what people think though, why do you?"

"Because it's important to me."

"Why?"

"Because."

"Because why?"

"Because!"

"Why?!"

"It was important to my dad!" Shit. Did I really just say that? Please tell me I didn't.

"What do you mean?"

Shit, I did. "Uh...nothing."

"That obviously wasn't nothing."

I sighed. She already knows a lot more than she should. I might as well tell her. "When I got diagnosed my dad left. Said he didn't want to be around a daughter that was a disappointment. Okay? That's why I care. And I always will care. That's never going to change and that's why we can't be together."

"What are you even diagnosed with?"

"Lou Gehrig's."

"I don't get it." She paused. "Isn't Lou Gehrig's reversible?"

"Yes," I nodded. "But apparently not mine. I've had it for a year."

"I'm so sorry Y/n."

I shrugged. "It's whatever."

"No it's not. You shouldn't have to go through all this."

"Neither should you. Which is why my answer is no."

"But I want to be with you."

I saw her eyes fill with tears and I felt bad. "But what will everyone say? I can't handle the hate. I get enough of that from school."

"I'll tell everyone to back the hell up or they're gettin a poly beat down. That simple."

"I wish it was Dinah, but it's not." I took a deep breath. "I-I can't do it. I'm sorry." Awkward silence feel upon us. "Usually this is where I'd make a dramatic exit but it's a little hard to do that when I can't walk."

She chuckled at me. "Want me to help you?"

I groaned as I covered my face. "Nooooo. You should be mad at me! You should hate me!"

She gave me a sad smile. "Why would I be mad or hate you?"

"Because I just rejected you. I friend zoned you. You should be furious."

"Well I'm not." She helped me sit up on the couch and sat next to me. "Wanna know why?" I nodded. "Because you're gonna change your mind."

"And how do you know that?"

"Because I'm taking you on a date tomorrow, in public, and I don't care who sees."

I chuckled. "Yeah that's not happening."

"Oh but it is."

"So you're gonna kidnap me?"

"I like to call it borrowing."

I smiled at her. Her determination was adorable. I couldn't help but give in. "Fine. One date. But that's it."

Dinah smiled. "Okay." She stood up. "I should probably give you a ride home."

"Yeah probably." She helped me to my feet and let me use her as a crutch to her car. She helped me in and I buckled up.

"So where do you live?"

"1400 eastern Dr."

"Hey that really is only ten minutes away."

"Told ya." She started the engine and we were off. When we got there she helped me out of the car and to the door. I pulled out my key but before I could even unlock it the door opened. Before us stood my mother. "Hey...Mom."

She pulled me into a hug. "Sweetie I was so worried. Emily told me what happened and that you were at your girlfriends house but you don't have a girlfriend, do you?"

My face turned as red as a tomato and Dinah tried not to laugh. Mental note: kill Emily. "She's not my girlfriend, she's just a friend."

"Oh okay." She turned to Dinah. "Are you the future girlfriend then?"

"MOM!"

Dinah chuckled. "Yes I am. I'm Dinah."

"Pleasure to meet you."

"You too."

"Come on come in," my mom pushed us inside and sat us on the couch. "So," she looked at Dinah. "What are your intensions with my daughter?"

"Mom!"

"To make her happy and forget about her douchbag of a father."

My mom smiled and turned back to me. "I love her already, she's the one, never lose her." I blushed and nodded. "Well it was nice meeting you Dinah."

"You too Ms. Y/l/n."

"Please call me Y/m/n."

"Okay. I should really go though. Bye babe. Bye Y/m/n."

"Bye." With that Dinah left. My mom turned to me. "I like her."

"Mom," I groaned. "You're so embarrassing."

"Well that's my job Y/n." She looked around. "So where are your crutches?"

"The kids stole them."

"Well here," she walked over to a corner and grabbed something I couldn't see. "You can use your grandpas cane." She handed it to me. It was a polished wooden cane with a dragon design. I took it.

"Thanks Mom."

"Of course." She gave me a kiss on the cheek. "Goodnight honey."

"Goodnight." She went up to her room and I could hear the door close from downstairs. I slowly got up and made my way to my room using the cane. When I got there I immediately laid down. I reached for my phone and plugged it in. I was setting up my alarm when I got a text.

DJ: Goodnight my love

You: Goodnight

DJ: Ps you're beautiful

I rolled my eyes and didn't respond. I set my phone down, took off my leg braces, and relaxed. Let's see what tomorrow holds.