chapter 9

'Katy, you up yet?' said my dad, crashing into my bedroom.

'I am now,' I groaned, looking at the clock above my bed, it was 8:00am.

'I was thinking we could go out for breakfast?' said my dad cheerfully.

I sighed, and curled up back under my duvet, 'maybe another time,'

'Oh come on Katy,' he said, plonking himself on my bed, 'when was the last time we went out for breakfast?'

'Umm, I thought the only time you go out for breakfast is on holiday, other than that you only go for evening meals?'

'WHAT?!' he said in mock horror, 'who on earth told you that?' I grinned.

'And she smiles!' he said teasingly again.

'Whatever,' I said rolling over. My head was spinning from last night.

'So we'll go about 8:30ish?' my dad questioned.

'I'm not going!' I groaned, 'I have plans anyway...'

'At 8:30am?'

'Nope, but I don't want to be tired for them later,'

He chuckled. 'How old are you, five?'

I tossed a pillow at his head, laughing. 'Anyway Kay, I know you go out with your mates most nights and lose out on sleep,'

'That's different...'

'Technically not because-'

'OKAY I'LL GO!'

My dad did a fake victory dance around my room, and then slipped off downstairs.

I crawled out of bed and felt sick rising to my throat. I dashed out my room and into the bathroom and was sick down the toilet.

'Ewww,' said Matt, poking his head round the door. I couldn't wait for him to come home hung over, just for payback.

I cleaned my teeth, brushed my hair, and put on lip gloss, I genuinely couldn't be bothered to make any effort. I wandered back into my room and pulled on a pair of dark blue skinny jeans, black converses and an arctic monkeys tee...and even though I felt like shit I was kind of pleased with my appearance. Like I'm not vain or anything, I have 101 insecurities but I've always been called pretty and known as pretty: it makes it easier for me to be comfortable in my own skin.

We arrived at a small café called 'May's' that was run by a cuddly-looking cheerful lady that was full of smiles, literally. I ordered a full English breakfast because by this point I was starving, as did my dad, and Matt ordered bacon on toast.

'I think I'm gonna explode,' I grumbled, looking down at my half eaten plate of breakfast, I could feel the egg spinning around in my stomach. My dad and Matthew cracked up. 'Awful Katie, we used to have competitions who could eat the most chocolate cake, what happened?!'

'Oh please don't talk about chocolate cake,' I sighed.

Usually people hate going out with their families, and as annoying as my dad and brother can be I loved them to bits, and actually enjoyed the early morning breakfast we'd just had. I know how lucky I am to have a family as amazing as them, I'd just forgotten that over the years due to the fact I was mad over my mother being taken away from me.

My phone rang; it was a call from Lily. I got up. 'I've gotta answer this, thanks for breakfast dad, I may have kind of actually enjoyed myself.'

'Shall I and Matt wait for you so you get a lift back with us?' he replied.

'I can't hack a car journey, I'll be sick! I'll walk back, see you in a bit.'

'Bye Kay,' my dad said with a grin.