Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

"Go away!" I screamed at the dark voice. I pumped my legs to go faster. I heard the crunch of leaves from the other contestants that were running.

"No can do my dear."

"If you will not go away I will make you go away," I say darkly.

Right as I said that I tripped over a branch. I felt an ache spread through my body. My right knee stinging from my sudden fall. I got up slowly and continued running.

"Not even one minute has passed and you are already falling down," the dark voice said.

"Every human being falls one time in their life, but how would you know? You are not human," I said wiping the sweat that was dripping down my face.

"You my dear Ashley are very brave but you lack something."

"What is that?" I asked. Silence filled my head. Nothing was said. I waited for the dark voice to reply but all I could hear were my overactive thoughts.

"Second contestants get ready," I heard the voice of the man say, "ready, set go!"

"What is it?" I asked again but louder. Nothing was said from the dark voice. It seemed like the dark voice had disappeared into the thin air. Just like all the other times.

I told myself to forget about the dark voice and to concentrate on the race. The crunching sound of the leaves doubled as more people join the race. I had put hands in front of my body, shielding it from all the obstacles in the forest. I heard the clap of thunder from above. I wondered what happened because before the rave started the sky was clear and very sunny.

How come the weather changed so quickly in such seconds? How come the weather changed just as the dark voice went away?

The sound of clapping and cheering averted my attention back to the race. I must be near the end. I breathed in deeply from my nose and blew out from my mouth. The sound of the clapping and cheering got louder. I felt hands wrap around my waist blocking me.

"Let me do," I said struggling against the strong grip.

"Ashely you have reached the end of the race," I heard Leon say to me. I felt him remove his hand around my waist and pull at my blindfold. The blindfold slips smoothly out. I felt the brightness hit my eyes. I move slightly away from Leon and cover my eyes with my hands.

"Well done!" Leon said to me. I opened my eyes to see him smiling genuinely at me.

"Thanks, Well done to you too."

"Thank you milady," he replied in a British accent making me laugh at his playful nature. I look around me to see half the group have already reached the other end of the forest. Many people are talking to their friends like Leon and me, but there are others who are cheering for the remaining contestants.

"Are you okay?" Leon asked me just as another thunder roared in the sky. I looked up into the sky to see dark clouds everywhere.

"Yes, of course. Why would I not be okay?" I asked stupidly.

"Well, there is a lot of dirt on your right knee. Did you fall? You look a little shaken up a bit. Are you feeling sick?" Leon asked me concerned. I felt a sinking feeling in my stomach. I remembered the dark voice and how he taunted me during the race.

"I did fall but I am fine, really, but if I feel sick I will tell you okay?" I asked touching his arm giving me a shock. I quickly pulled my hand away from him. I looked up at his face to see him looking at me with an unreadable expression. Leon opened his mouth to something but Jake interrupts him.

"There you are!" Jake said coming and standing next to Leon.

"Everybody is really fit here," I said looking around to see almost everybody is here.

"Yes, they are. The university has a lot of fitness programs. You should join one," Jake said to me. I looked down at myself wearily. Did I look that bad that someone had to tell me to exercise?

"Are you saying I am unfit?" I asked him horrified to his bluntness.

"No, I am just saying for the good of your welfare." Before I can give Jake a piece of my mind somebody interrupts me.

"Hey guys," Keith said walking up to Leon and standing by the other side of him.

"Where is Julie?" I asked looking around for her. Small crowds had formed by the finish line so it was hard to see the last contestants coming.

"Ashley, can I speak with you for a moment?" Leon asked me.

"Sure," I replied and walked behind him. I looked behind me to see both Jake and Keith staring at me, I quickly turned around. I remembered the conversation I had earlier on with Leon and how close he was to find out the truth. I felt my heart quicken at him finding out. Questions flew into my mind like a terrible storm.

What will happen to him? Will the dark voice haunt him too? Will the dark voice do something to me? What if he tells someone?

More questions would have come into my mind if Leon had not spoken.

"Ashley? Are you okay? Ashley!" I felt Leon shake my shoulders. I blinked my eyes rapidly and turned my head from side to side to see what he was worried about.

"Hey, are you okay?" Leon asked me.

"Yes, of course. Why wouldn't I b-" I asked repeating my earlier words.

"I want to know the truth Ashley," Leon said to me. I looked up into his bright green eyes to see it filled with determination.

This time he wasn't going to back down until he got the answer he was looking for.

*____________________*

Hi everyone!

This chapter is quite short.

What did you think of this chapter? Why do you think the weather changed so quickly What do you think of the dark voice?

Dedicated to kenita1903

Room(mate) got #775 on werewolf hot list! Thank you so much to everybody who votes and comments, I really aprreciate it!

Vote goal: 10

Vote

Comment

Follow

Share

TTBMBFF