Chapter Fifty

Chapter Fifty

It had been days since Leon had got back. We followed the same routine every day- get up and get ready. Leon would go to his meetings where they would discuss their next moves and any news from the outside of this safe house and I would do more research about Sarim and her group. Leon and I would lunch and dinner together but other than that we wouldn't see each other the whole day.

I felt my eyes fluttering close but I willed them to be open as I turned the page. It was a book about werewolf history. I had taken this book from Fredrick- one of the people living in the safe house, hoping that it would be a good way to make use of my time when I wasn't researching about Sarim.

The first few days in the safe house had a buzz to it, everyone moving into a new, hopefully, temporary place and meeting people from different parts of the world.

Though now, you could no longer feel the buzz, in fact, this place was feeling more and more like a permanent home. None of us knew how long this war was going to take and how long we were going to have our loved ones. There was this air of constant fear as if waiting for the moment when this war becomes bloody and when the real fighting began.

Every morning and evening there were training sessions that everyone was forced to attend. Leon wanted everyone in their best physical state when the real fight began.

I shut the book closed and rubbed my eyes, hoping it would take away some of the sleepiness away. I glanced through the window and saw a crowd forming. I quickly pushed off my chair and hurried to see what was going on.

The moment I stepped out of the door, I knew something was wrong. Crowds formed all the time, but crowds with screams coming in-between the crowds didn't occur all the time.

"What's happening?" I asked, tapping the shoulder of the first person I could reach.

"They are fighting." The girl said.

"Who's fighting?" 

Before I could get an answer the girl had already disappeared into the crowd that seemed to be growing bigger with each second that passed. I pushed against people, not caring that I might have come up as aggressive or rude.

I could see glimpses of fists flying across the air and I could feel the occasional thud on the floor. When I finally came into the center of the circle, I saw a female and male fighting. I didn't know their names but I did recognize their faces. I looked around, wondering why nobody was trying to stop them. Where were Leon and Rawer? I hastily glanced around the circle of people that were just watching.

When I couldn't find either of them, I paused. I glanced at the two people fighting, it was almost as if I was fueling myself for the courage I needed, for what I was about to do next. I stepped away from the invisible safety net of the circle and close to where they were fighting.

As I got closer, I noticed scratches on either on them, the man was had a long scratch down the side of his face, the blood was dripping onto the floor like red paint leaking from its container. I was a feet distance away when I stopped walking closer to them.

"Stop," I said, but the pair never seemed to hear me. "Please stop this." I plead again when the female punched the male but again, my pleas were left unheard. I glanced around at the people in the crowd and saw them looking at me curiously as if they were trying to figure out what I was trying to do.

I saw some of them whispering to the people next to them. I saw some of them laughing. I couldn't hear them, the sound of fists hitting on bones was louder than their whispers. I didn't have to guess to know that they were talking about me.

It wasn't only the were talking but their fingers that were pointing at me as if asking the person next to them, why I, a human would get into the middle of a werewolf fight. I myself didn't ask the question. Their eyes, all held different emotions. Some looked worried while others seemed to have a sense of humor in them.

"I said, stop!" Suddenly there was silence. It was as if someone had frozen everyone in. I tried to turn around to see how everyone became so quiet but couldn't. I heard a scream, and that's when I started panicking. The lights went off. It was pitch dark.

So dark that I could barely make out the figures around me. I tried to move my hand, but couldn't. I was pushed forward, and that's when the chaos began. People were running in all directions, voices were screaming at each other.

The ground vibrated from the sudden movement. I shoved across people trying to reach towards the meeting hall, where Leon was supposed to be. Though the constant shoving from people, made me lose my sense of direction, and I no longer knew which direction anywhere. In fact, I didn't know where I was.

A hand went over my mouth. I screamed, but what came out was only a muffle. I grabbed the hand, digging my nails into the person's hand, hoping they would let go, but they didn't.

The other hand pushed at my lower back forcing me to walk towards a certain direction. I kicked my legs, hoping that I would kick them hard enough on the leg so that the person could momentarily let go of me. I dug my elbow into the chest of the person, but nothing seemed to be keeping his distracted from his goal.

Another set of arms grabbed my hands. Their hands roughly tied- what felt like a rope around my hand. The rope was rough and tight, I attempted to move my hands, but they burned every time I rubbed it. The set of hands around my mouth let go before I had the chance to register what had happened, a rope was around my mouth.

I was shoved into a van. The blindfold was removed from my eyes. I closed my eyes, attempting to adjust to the bright light around me. The doors of the van shut behind me. I adjusted myself so that I was crouched down on my knees. I looked up and couldn't believe what I was seeing. There stood Sarim. But what shocked me the most was the what she holding in her hand.

It was Leon's head.