Chapter 32: Family.

Jessica's POV

The relationship between Brian and I has only grown stronger over the last few weeks, since moving in together. We recently had Thanksgiving with my family at our house. OUR house. It still feels surreal to be living with Brian, even though we already seemed so close. But moving in with him was just another step forward in our relationship, and showed that we were both committed to each other.

I hadn't seen my family, including my dad and sister, since Brian and I started dating. For some reason, Brian was still worried that my family, especially my father, wouldn't like him. I'm not sure why he was so insecure about that, because my dad has never given any indication that he disliked Brian. All my family loved Brian. But how could they not? My father has only had positive things to say about Brian and certainly approves of us being a couple. In fact, my dad, like most people, teases me about how long it took Brian and I to get together. Whether it was a man or woman, my father hasn't always approved of the people I've dated in the past. But he's told me on more than one occasion that he thinks Brian is the best person I've ever dated. And of course, I'd have to agree with him that.

-----

Since Brian and I spent Thanksgiving with my family, we agreed to spend Christmas with his family. This would be the first Christmas that I didn't spend with my family. But as far as I was concerned, Brian is my family now. This Christmas was also Brian and I's first as a couple.

Brian was excited to have me with his family for Christmas. He also insisted that his whole family, especially his parents, were thrilled to have me. It had been years since he brought a girlfriend home to meet his family. Although this time was a little different because I had already met most of his family. It's not like he was introducing someone new, but I still felt a little nervous meeting Brian's family as his girlfriend. I felt this added pressure because I wanted his family to like me, and I wanted their approval. Brian and I loved each other so much, but I wanted his family to love me too. Now that the roles were reversed, I was starting to understand why Brian was so nervous about being around my family as my boyfriend.

I may have gone a little overboard trying to impress his family. The week before Christmas, I called Brian's mother to ask her what I could bring or if there was anything I could do to help. She told me I didn't have to bring anything, but I offered to bake something anyway. She thought that was a great idea, and suggested that I make my chocolate chip cookies since everybody would love those. I made them a lot, and it kind of became something I was known for.

A few days before Christmas, Brian was still filming IJ. He came home to find me scurrying around in the kitchen, trying to get everything done. Normally he just sees the end product, when the desert is made and everything looks presentable. But now that we were living together, he got to see the process of how it all comes together. And sometimes it isn't always pretty.

"Babe... what happened? It looks like a tornado went through here," he commented, teasing me.

He was only being slightly dramatic. There were dishes and utensils piled up in the sink, and flour was practically coating most of the kitchen. But it's not like I was going to leave it that way. I planned on cleaning it....

"Baking is messy, Brian. You wouldn't understand," was my excuse.

"My mother said you didn't even have to bring anything," he told me.

"Brian, don't be ridiculous. Do you really think I would walk into your mother's house empty-handed on Christmas? Do you even know me at all?"