Chapter 27: Explanation.

Jessica's POV

"You're pregnant," Brian said, as more of a statement, not a question.

Of course, that's what he would think. It's the most logical explanation, based on what he's heard. But it's not the only explanation. I know it's hard for men to understand that there are other reasons why women miss their periods, or why they would have to go for an ultrasound.

"No, Brian..." I started to say, but he wasn't listening. He was too wrapped up in this scenario he had created.

"You've been acting odd lately, and I was trying to figure out why. So, first I thought you might be cheating on me. I thought maybe you were with another man or even a woman. Maybe you're still confused, and you want to be with women. Maybe I'm not good enough for you,"

"That's not true..." I tried to tell him, but he still wasn't listening.

I could tell he was already angry, and I was doing my best to calm him down before I told him what was going on. The truth is, there was something that I've been hiding from him, it's just not what he expected. But I still didn't exactly know how to tell him.

"Then I overhear you talking about ultrasounds and missed periods, so pregnancy must be the reason you've been acting strangely. But then I realize that if you're four months pregnant, then it's not even mine. So now I have to wonder, who's the father? You told me you hadn't been with a guy in years, but clearly, you lied about that. What else are you lying about? Are you still fucking this guy is behind my back?"

Since he wasn't really listening to me, I just let him go on his little rant, to express how he felt. He was throwing all these accusations at me. I was trying not to get too offended, but his words were hurtful. I tried to consider things from his perspective. He didn't know what else to think, and part of me understood how he could jump to these conclusions. But it still didn't feel good to be accused of all these things, especially of cheating.

"Brian, I'm not..." I tried to say, but he was still going on his rant.

"Did you already know you were pregnant when we started dating? Was that your plan all along? Get me to fall so deeply in love with you that I would still stick around and be a father for a kid that isn't even mine?"

"Are you done?" I asked him.

I had enough. I let him go on his little rant and say whatever he wanted, but it was time to tell him the truth. And I knew that if I didn't stop him, he would say something else that he'd regret. I needed to get through to him and get his attention, so I grabbed his face and looked him straight in the eyes.

"I AM NOT PREGNANT," I stated firmly. This time I knew he was listening. I had to interrupt him and end his ranting because these assumptions were going to drive both of us crazy.

"I heard what you said on the phone. Don't lie to me, Jessica," he said. He pulled away, not wanting me to touch him. He hadn't calmed down yet.

"I'll take a pregnancy test right now if that's what it will take to prove it to you. But I can assure you that I am not pregnant with your, or anyone else's, baby. I never lied about the people I slept with. And I sure as hell did not cheat on you. I would never do that," I swore to him.

"So then what the fuck is going on? How else do you explain this?" he asked, still completely baffled. Somehow my response wasn't making him feel any better. He looked more confused now than when he thought I was pregnant.