Chapter 23: Circus.

Jessica's POV

After being on the air for five seasons, the guys are always trying to top themselves. They're always looking for bigger and better challenges, and more elaborate punishments. Their finales were no exception.

To celebrate their 100th episode, each of the guys walked across a tightrope, that was six stories high. The Joker who made it the farthest would receive $50,000 for the charity of their choice. Brian, proudly wearing his FDNY shirt, made it all the way across. He donated the money to the Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation, which is an FDNY based charity that provides services for military personnel and first responders. I loved that special, but not just because I was so proud of Brian. As a fan, I felt like the guys were pushing the envelope, without going too far outside the realm of the show.

That being said, I felt the complete opposite about Nitro Circus, the finale for season 5. When I first heard the concept, I just didn't get it. I didn't think that it fits with the vibe of their show. It didn't make any sense to me. I was hanging out with Brian and Sal when I first heard the idea.

"It's a live show. These professionals will be doing all these crazy stunts to entertain the crowd. Then we'll be going through an obstacle course with ATVs and motorcycles. The person who does it in the fastest time will get $100,000 for their charity," Sal explained.

"But... why? Is that even safe?" I asked.

I wasn't just concerned for the safety of my boyfriend, but for the other guys' safety as well. The guys always treated me like part of the family. I loved all of them like brothers, and I would never want anything to happen to any of them.

"We're getting trained beforehand, so we'll have some practice before the live show. You have nothing to worry about," Brian said, trying to reassure me, But I wasn't convinced.

"Still... you guys aren't professionals. Don't you think it's dangerous?" I asked them.

"I don't think the network would give us anything we can't handle. We'll get trained enough so that we don't injure ourselves out there," Sal told me.

"I'm sorry, I just don't understand why you guys would do something like this. It just seems too risky to me. And doesn't it clash with the whole purpose of your show?" I asked them.

"To be honest, we weren't too thrilled about the idea when we first heard it either. It was the network's idea, and they convinced us that the crossover would benefit both shows," Brian explained.

"I'm just worried about you. All of you. I don't want you guys to get hurt," I told them both.

Brian knew how concerned I was, so he wrapped his arms around me, and pulled me close to him. He was trying to reassure me, but it wasn't working.

"Jess, you have nothing to worry about. We'll be fine," he tried to tell me.

"He's right, Jess. Plus, didn't you see this guy walk the high wire? He's a pro," Sal said, trying to lighten the mood.

"I just don't want you guys to do anything stupid," I told them.

"Have you seen our show? The whole thing is pretty stupid," Sal said, sarcastically.

"Well...this might just be the stupidest thing you guys have ever done," I proclaimed.

-----

When Brian and I went to bed that night, he could tell that I was still anxious about the whole thing.

"Babe, you don't have to worry about me. I'll be fine. I was a firefighter once, you know," he told me.

"Wait. YOU were a fireman? I don't think you've ever mentioned that before," I said, sarcastically.