Chapter 3: Fan.

Jessica's POV

A few weeks after we first hung out, Brian invited me to his house to watch the premiere of Impractical Jokers. The other Jokers would be there too, along with some of their family members. Brian and I had hung out a few times since Survivor Series. We were both busy with our work, but we also kept in touch through calls and texts. Our friendship was building quickly. Brian and I got along so well, almost instantly. I felt like we could tell each other anything. I can't explain what it is about him. But I felt drawn to keep talking to him and hanging out with him.

When I arrived at the house, I was greeted by a slightly intoxicated Brian.

"Jess! I'm so glad you came!" he said, hugging me.

"Of course I came! How could I miss my friend's big TV debut?" I said, following him into the house. I was excited to watch the show. Not only because I had become friendly with the guys, but it seemed like an interesting concept. Based on how it was described to me, it doesn't sound like anything else on television.

Walking into Brian's house, I was greeted by some of the same friends I had met a few weeks prior. Joe introduced me to his fiancé Bessy, who seemed like a sweet woman. They were an adorable couple, so I was happy to see Joe find happiness with a woman as kindhearted as Bessy. I also met Brian's parents, who were very reserved, but still lovely people. Then I came face to face with James, who was clearly was trying to avoid me.

"Uh... Hi Jessica," he said nervously.

"Hey, James. What's the matter?" I asked.

"Do you hate me?" he blurted out, nervously.

"James, why would I hate you?" I asked, genuinely confused. I hadn't seen him since that night we first met. I guess he was referring to that little comment he made while he was drunk. To be honest, I kind of forgot about it until he brought it up.

"I feel like we got off on the wrong foot. I thought you might be insulted by what I said when we first met. I never meant to offend you. I was drunk, but I still shouldn't have said what I did. I'm sorry," James said. He seemed remorseful, even though I didn't think it was a big deal in the first place. But I appreciated that he cared enough to apologize.

"It's okay, James. I accept your apology. Let's just pretend it didn't happen. Okay? Clean slate?" I asked. He nodded in agreement.

I hoped that I would get to know him well enough that the first word that comes to mind when he thinks of me isn't just "lesbian." I'm not ashamed to be dating a woman. But, "the lesbian" is not the one characteristic I'd like to be identified as.

After clearing the air with Murray, I turned my attention to Brian. He was downing another beer. I don't have a problem with people drinking. Especially if it's in their own home, and they wouldn't be driving anywhere. But Brian just seemed off. He was too quiet, like he was too caught up in his own head.

"Brian, are you okay?" I asked.

"I'm fine," he answered, as he shuffled nervously in his seat. I could tell he wasn't telling the truth. Is anyone ever really telling the truth when they say they're fine?

Brian got up and walked towards the kitchen. Probably to get another beer. I followed him, trying to make sure that he was okay. I want him to know that if he needed to get something off his chest, I would be there for him.

"Are you sure you're okay, Brian?" I asked, again. "If something is wrong, you can tell me."

"What if it doesn't work?" he blurted out. "What if the show fails?"