Chapter 30: Broken.

Brian's POV

"Jessica, I've been looking over your results. I know it's normal for you to have cysts, but I am concerned that this could be something more serious..."

Those words were exactly what I was dreading. When the technician didn't say anything after scanning Jess, I assumed the worst. Jess tried to tell me it was normal, but I wondered if she could tell something was wrong. But I couldn't get too wrapped up in my own fears. I had to be strong, and be there for Jess. I looked over at her to see her reaction, but she was completely frozen, probably unable to process what the doctor had just told her.

"So what does that mean? What else could this be?" I asked hesitantly, even though I already knew the answer.

"I don't know for sure yet, so I don't want to alarm either of you. But I see something abnormal on the scan. That doesn't necessarily mean cancer. It could just be benign, and just be cysts. In that case, those are easy to take care of. Just to be sure, I would need to do an endometrial biopsy, which would check the cells for cancer. It'll only take me a few minutes to get prepped so I can do this today, if that's okay with you, Jessica," the doctor asked.

We both looked over at Jess, but she was still emotionless. Both of us were still processing all this information. Jess could barely handle all of this at once. She could barely speak, but she nodded, agreeing to the procedure.

"When will we know the results?" I asked.

"It usually takes about 7-10 days. I'll call as soon as I know. I'm going to give you two a few minutes. I'll be back shortly to begin the procedure," the doctor told us.

Once the doctor left the room, I looked over at Jess, squeezing her hand even tighter to let her know I was there for her. But she still had barely any reaction to the news we had just heard. I suspected that she was trying to be strong again, for my sake. Jess had spent the entire day trying to comfort me, even though she was the one that was in pain. She kept telling me that she would be fine, but know she was being confronted with the harsh reality that this situation was more severe than she expected. I knew that I had to step up and be her rock since she was always mine. I would do everything I could to help her get through this.

"Baby? Talk to me. How are you feeling about all of this?" I asked.

"I'm scared, Brian," was all she could say. She could barely look at me, but I could see the dear in her eyes. She was slowly starting to process what was happening.

"Jessica, don't panic. The doctor is just being cautious. We don't know for sure what this is yet. Let's try to stay positive," I told her. I was panicking in my mind too. But I had to keep it together for her.

"But what if it's ca..." she started to say before she got a choked up. She couldn't say the 'c-word'. It was just too painful to think about.

"Then we'll deal it. I'll do everything in my power to help you get better. I will take you to the best doctors, and get you the best treatment possible. I will take you to wherever these doctors are. I'll be sitting right there to you, holding your hand through it all. I'd quit my job if I had to. I'll do whatever it takes," I promised her.

"Brian, I can't tell you how much I appreciate that you would do all those things for me. But I really hope you don't have to."

"I hope it doesn't come to that either. I want you to be healthy. But either way, I'll take care of you," I promised her.