Chapter 6: Sandy.

Jessica's POV

            As promised, Brian arrived at my house about an hour later. As soon as I opened the door, Brian looked into my eyes and wrapped his big arms around me. I really needed a hug in that moment, and Brian was like a big teddy bear. Brian knew how to comfort me in that moment, without having to say anything.

            "I'm sorry," he stated, simply. This time I could tell it was sincere. No matter what his relationship was like with Katie, he genuinely felt sorry for me.

            "Thank you, Brian. But, I'm okay. You really didn't have to come over today," I told him.

            "Are you kidding? Do you really think I would let you sit here all day, sulking by yourself? I brought some stuff to help you through this," he stated.

            "What stuff?" I asked. I knew he would be bringing over some supplies like we talked about. But what would else would he bring?

            "I brought some cheesy movies we could watch. And I stopped at the store to get ice cream. I bought your favorite flavor," he said confidently.

            "Chocolate fudge brownie?" I asked, to see if he knew me as well as he thought.

            "Of course. Is this too cheesy? I thought this is what girls want during a breakup," he said.

            "I think it's sweet. Thank you," I told him.

            Brian was such a caring friend. He would always have these little gestures to help me feel better whenever I was upset. I did the same for him. But in his case, instead of ice cream, it's usually alcohol.

            "There's beer in the fridge if you want it. And Jameson on the counter. You're welcome to take whatever you want," I told him, even though at this point in our friendship it's sort of understood that he could take whatever he wanted. Brian came over a lot, so I was always stocked with his favorites, just in case. Just because I didn't drink, didn't mean I was uncomfortable having alcohol in the house, especially if it was for my best friend.

            "You're the best," he said.

            "I'm just trying to be a good hostess, ready for whenever you come over," I told him.

            -----

            Brian brought his cats in, gently trying to adjust them to their new home for the next few days. I didn't get to interact with Brian's cats much. Most of the times I hung out at Brian's house, Sal would be there too. Because of Sal's almost debilitating fear of cats, Brian would courteously store the cats away in his bedroom while he had guests over.

            Going back and forth from Brian's car, I helped him bring in some of the supplies he had brought. To say he was prepared would be an understatement.

            "Seriously Brian, is an ax really necessary?" I asked concerned, but also genuinely confused.

            "What if we get stuck underneath something? Or what if I need to break a door down? Or if I have to go out and rescue someone? I'm just trying to be prepared, for our own safety," he explained.

            I just gave up. "No, you're absolutely right. You're the fireman. What do I know?" I asked, sarcastically.

            Brian also brought some things to keep us busy. He had old movies and some video games. But he also brought board games, so we'd have something to do in case the power went out.