Chapter Twenty One - Showdown Part 1

"Holy shit." Gabriel muttered as Castiel dragged him across the country until they landed somewhere in a California city. Castiel was quiet the entire flight, he even kept a straight face through all of Gabriel's questions and groans. It wasnt until they landed, and Cas took a few steps away, that Gabriel realized Cas was afraid. 

"Lucifer is near." He whispered and hung his head. "Michael will be joining us. The final battle will happen here." Cas took a deep breath and stationed his legs onto the ground so he wouldnt shake or pass out.

"Any time now." Gabriel whispered and cracked his knuckles. "Let's get this show on the road."

Michael appeared before them, which caused a sense happiness in Cas before he realized that it was just Dean's body. But for a moment, as Cas stared into the hollow gray eyes, he couldve sworn he saw a flash of green. And that made his heart skip and a new energy stir inside of him.

"Where is he, Castiel?" Michael asked as he drew a long and shimmering sword from behind his back. He stood his ground and searched the long empty hillside that surrounded them. It was peaceful enough, for now.

"Michael!" Lucifer's slimy voice pierced the peace and rolled shivers into the angels' bodies.

The three angels turned and stared down a grinning Lucifer in the distance. He had his hands folded in front of his chest and even though his skin was peeling, he wore a warm smile. As Cas met his eyes, Cas felt a sudden nausea in his throat. Gabriel shifted and kept a steady glare, unafraid of his fallen brother. But Michael, he took a bold step forward and held the sword tightly by his side.

"Lucifer." The contempt in his voice drove daggers into Lucifer's heart, if he had one. "Dont make this any harder than it has to be."

Lucifer grinned from ear to ear and shook his head. "It wont be hard at all, for me. See, you three are all out here speaking with me.... and I have a surprise for Sam and Samkiel. One that you will unfortunately miss." And with that, demons surrounded the field and a curse had been drawn in the dirt too wide for Cas, Gabriel or Michael to notice. It was an old one, almost too old for even God to recall, but it had them trapped.

"SON OF A BITCH!" Cas screamed as it sunk in what was really happening.

"Calm down." Gabriel put a hand on Cas' shoulder before turning and giving Lucifer a death glare. "You wont win this."

"It seems that I already am winning." Lucifer tilted back his head and let a hideous laugh roar from his stomach.

Michael clenched his jaw until he heard a small whisper in the back of his mind.

If you let me take over, I can cross that line. I can take that sword to Lucifer. Give me control. Dean's voice was soft and confident. 

As much as Michael hated to leave the fate of the world up to a mortal, he realized it was their best option as of late. So, he closed his eyes and melted as Dean passed him and finally woke up.

Part 2

Samkiel leaned over the sink and stared at the dark liquid Sam had poured down the sink. Coffee had been too bitter for her, it made her tongue curl and squirm. But Sam said it helped him wake up in the morning, so she realized it had a function not just for staying hydrated.

"What are we doing today?" Sam asked from his seat at the kitchen table. Even though the house had been abandoned after the ghost, it was still kept neatly by the real estate agent. He was relieved to find there hadnt been any open houses since they crashed here.

Samkiel shrugged as the memory of her visitor from last night flashed in her mind. "I dont know." Worry was coated on her face, so she kept her back to Sam. She didnt want to worry him more. Becuase she knew there was nothing Sam could do against Michael. It was up to her.

She heard his steps and then felt his chest press against her back as warm arms wrapped around her shoulders and chest. Warm lips grazed her neck below her ear and trailed along her jaw. She closed her eyes and leaned back against him, soaking in as much of him as she could. She couldnt lose this.

"Sam." it was nothing more than a moan.

"Mhmm." His lips continued to explore her face.

"I-"

Before another kiss could be planted, Sam was thrown back across the kitchen with a startling crack. Samkiel twisted around in horror to find Azazel standing almost nose to nose in front of her. His yellow eyes sent shards of terror down her back, but she held her ground and glared back at him.

"Samkiel." Sam groaned as he slumped back against the far wall, similar to the night they went to the demon conference. 

But she barely heard him, she was too focused on Azazel. His hand reached out before she could act and wrapped around her throat. Feeling the lack of air, her chest began to pound as she clawed his arm. Finding the right leverage from the counter behind her, she kicked up her leg and managed to wedge her foot in his stomach. She let out a scream as she pushed back and forward with everything she had and sent him reeling back. 

Before she could catch her breath somehting hard and heavy hit her face from the side, knocking her down on the ground with a low whimper. She closed her eyes and tried to reach her power inside. But her Grace had been leaving her as her love for Sam grew. Now, she couldnt even manage to burn any demon close.

"Weak. That is what love makes you." Azazel spat as Samkiel felt his foot dig deep into her back.

She let out another pained yelp before curling into a ball and trying to muster as much strength as she could. She was just releived that he was focusing on her, and not Sam. But she thought that too soon, becuase she began to hear Sam's desperate pleas and groans.

A hand dug its way into her hair, pulling her head and face up. Her eyes opened to Azazel staring right into her eyes. He grinned wickedly and yanked on her hair just for fun getting the groan from her made him feel good.

"We are just going to take your boytoy here with us. No need to worry, we wont have him out too late." Azazel chuckled before he used all his strength and sent Samkiel's head into the kitchen tile. The crack it made echoed as Sam began to scream and figth against the demons that held him.

Azazel stood up over the limp body of Samkiel and turned his heel to stare at Sam. Sam's eyes were still on Samkiel, even as his body was squirming and kicking as the demons held to his arms. When Sam finally looked up at Azazel through tears, he formed a flat line of his lips and complete coldness washed into his heart.

Azazel grinned and motioned for them to go. "Next stop, paradise."

Part 3

Lucifer paced outside of the circle as Dean kept his body still. He was conscious again, and he was fully aware of the sword that was cold in his hand. But he didnt know when to strike, or when would be the best. So he stayed put and didnt make ee contact with anyone. He didnt even shift his weight.

Cas watched the back of Dean's head, wishing he could bring Dean out and kiss him one final time. He let out a sigh and hung his head. He hated this waiting game. If anything, just get it all over with. He was prepared to die. He had known it was a possibility. This stretch out business was driving him up the wall.

"Anyone got a snack?" Gabriel asked from his spot on the ground. He had given up waiting and took a seat in the grass. Now he rolled his eyes and sighed heavily every few minutes.

"Shut up." Lucifer hissed just as demons began to shift.

And that was when the three began to hear it. It was small at first, almost deniable, but now it was low like a murmur of a car engine. It was Sam. His low sobbing was sliding through their silence and making everyone stand up full at attention. Even Gabriel stood and turned to the sound. Dean was paralyzed. It was now or never, but he couldnt move now that he heard Sammy.

"There is the special guest." Lucifer clapped his hands and giggled.

Past a few demons, Azazel made his way to the front, with Sam slumped over another cuople demons slowly bringing him forward. Cas took a step but he couldnt go any further and he felt rage bubble in his chest. Gabriel glared at Lucifer and felt blood in his mouth. Dean let his gaze fall on Sam, it only made his grip on the sword tighter.

"Now the fun starts." Lucifer hissed.