16.New Arrivals

I woke up in the library covered in books that I read last night. They were all skill based books like how-tos. I put them back on the shelves and slowly walked up the stairs to my room. Opening the door was hard. Memories from last night played on repeat causing tremors through my body. But I have a responsibility and I can't run from this. So I open the door as quietly as I can and walk back into the shared house. I noticed right of the bat that my door was not only opened but also barely still on the hinges. They broke my door. I'm surprised they didn't destroy my room trying to find me. Instead, it just looks like they went through my bag. I'm not even upset. I literally tried to kill Ghost. He should have called the cops. He should have turned me in. For all I know, he did and they just couldn't find me. Not that my secret door is very hidden, to be honest. 

I pulled myself from my thought enough to go out into the kitchen. I stopped short just before going in. Toast was cooking on the stove while Ghost was sitting at the table facing away from me. I froze. I really didn't expect them to both be up so early. It's practically 6:30. Ghost was sitting there reading the newspaper. I glanced at his arm and saw it was bandaged up like his eye was. With the amount of blood, the cut had to be deep. He must have needed stitches. Did Toast do them? Did Ghost tell him how he got hurt? I watched as Toast put an omelet on a plate with a few pieces of toast. He must have learned how to cook while he was away. He turned around and looked at me as he handed the plate to Ghost.

"Where were you last night?"Ghost practically drops the plate as he whips around to see me in the doorway. "You ran past me into your room but you weren't there." I just stayed silent, standing there without a single word to be said. "Well, I hope you were safe. Johnny got attacked last night."

"Oh yeah. I hope not badly." I was choking. I could barely hold back the tears. He didn't tell Toast. He was just staring at me. I wonder if he's scared. I can't exactly check. I'm far to upset to focus on anything. I wouldn't be surprised if my abilities go a bit haywire.

"No, Thank god. The pricks a real monster though." My breath gets taken away and I start to shake. He's right. I am a monster. I hurt Ghost. I would have killed him. At the time, I was only thinking of adding to the death count.

"Johnny I don't think..."

"What are you talking about sir? They nearly tore your arm off." I DID? I knew it was bad but... "Plus I did my research apparently not that long ago there was this serial killer. The deaths stopped a few months back but they never caught the person. And I'm telling you, the person that attacked you was the same one then."

"Johnny that's enough."

"They attacked you Ghost. They attacked my best friend. If I had been there, I would have shot them myself."

"JOHNNY!" Ghost yelled and then just looked over at me. I just stood there horrified. He would have shot me. Who could blame him though? I would have shot myself too. 

"They're just lucky they didn't touch Je... You ok sis?" Toast was looking at me with concern. I just turned and ran, tripping slightly as I did. I nearly hit the wall on the way out.

"JESSICA!!" Ghost yell after me. He probably pissed. Why did I have to hurt him? Why couldn't I have just gone somewhere else? Why couldn't I have found somebody new? Why did I target him? I got to the front door before running right into some redhead with glasses.

"Wath what your doing you abtholute nerd!" correction a rude redhead with glasses and a lisp.

"Get up Spencer, I don't pay you to sit there and whine."

"You don't pay me!"

"I give you food, shelter, and a bed."

"IN THE BASEMENT!"

"AH Whatever. You girl." I look up to this overly heavyset bald man looking at me with a look that said If you were food I would eat you. He had a blue jean jacket and a shotgun strapped onto his back. "Where 'r the boys?"

"Boys?"

"Toatht and Ghotht honethly. Thith ith PIE ithn't it?" I looked back at the guy that just I ran into. He was wearing a white buttoned up shirt, blue jeans, and red suspenders. His black glasses had a white strip of tape on it and his copper hair was slicked back. He looked like a nerd, and considering the first thing he said to me... It's ironic.

"Yes, it is."

"What are you, their secretary?" THEIR WHAT!? My anger shot up so fast and my hand went straight for my pocket.

"Papa? What are you doing here?" Ghost came rushing out of the house bringing right out of my rage, if only slightly. He looked back at me. He knew what I was going to do. I just looked at my feet and stayed silent again.

"Johnny! 'was asking fer ya but yer secretary here don't know nothin'." SERIOUSLY I took a step further and Johnny held his arm out. The bald dude looked between the two of us and huffed. He walked right inside without even being invited in. The redhead hesitated but followed shortly after.

"Jess, we're going to need to talk." I looked away and walked inside again leaving Ghost out there alone. There isn't anything to say. I am insane with hyper-violent tendencies. My own regret and guilt and self-hate won't prevent outbursts. How could a talk do it? At least Jimmy has you to break from the constant insanity. I just have me. I am all there is.

"Papa, Spencer! You're here." I walk into the living room to find Toast being pulled into a giant bear hug by the rude giant himself. Spencer just sat in the corner of the room separate from everything. I find it funny how this rude kid has the same name as my online friend.

"Spencer, get over here and start talking or I'll tell Gertrude to cut your World of Warcraft subscription."

"Don't you dare Acachalla." Spencer got up and walked right up to Papa very angerly. Papa just pointed to the others and Spencer sighed.

"I got a message from Maxwell."