Chapter 5: Sense

When Katakuri makes it home, he notices that Cracker is waiting for him. His brother gives him a smile as he makes his way to him. Katakuri takes a seat next to him on the patio couch.
  "Bubblegum came by," he starts and Katakuri looks at him. "She wanted to know if you were here... you know she was worried about you? You're lucky, Katakuri. I wish she worried about me."
  The older man stays silent sends him gives a strange look. Cracker doesn't notice because he's too busy thinking about what the girl had told him earlier. The fight that broke out when she tried to enlist everyone's help, without the knowledge of Mama.
  "You're lucky, you like someone that Mama approves of," he continues. Bubblegum had an absolute absurd idea, there's no way that they could keep a secret from their mom. "Do you think I need Mama's blessing on the girl I choose? I think I would, because I'm not you, or Perospero, or Oven, or Daifuku. And Bubblegum isn't (Y/n)."
  "Wait," Katakuri turns his body to observe his brother. "You like Bubblegum? Tell Mama, I'm su-"
  "No, Katakuri, this isn't about me," he sighs and turns to him. "It's about you."
  "What?" he stares hard, trying to see anything in Cracker's face. "What's this have to do with me?"
  "I'm trying to talk some sense into you. Can't you see that you're wasting your opportunity?" he stands up and goes over to the railing on the fence. "She told us about (Y/n)'s engagement."
  "Then there is no opportunity," Katakuri stands up. "Cracker, I ap-"
  "You really don't know how the world works, do you?" the purple-haired man lets out a sigh as he turns back around to face his brother. "It isn't in stone yet. You can still ask her parents for her hand in marriage, if you do, she can choose which of you she wants to marry. Until then, you're still in the running. No one's crossed the finish line. Sure, he's already halfway there, and you haven't even started, but you're taller than him. Your steps are bigger, you can easily catch up and pass him. It might suck that it has to come out this way, but you need to tell her that you're in lo-"
  "I'm not in love with her," Katakuri says quietly. "I don't understand why you guys-"
"Because we know you," he rolls his eyes and sighs out. "Katakuri, you do know that we can't tell what you're thinking all the time, but we do know that you're always happy when she's here. You'd kill for her, you're that crazy. Listen, we all accept her, hell, we'll be happy if you marry her. Mama would be happy! We all care for you, and her. If you don't ask for her hand in marriage... who's to stop anyone else? You don't understand how lucky you are... to be able to marry who you want. As a guy, neither of us understand it really. Maybe I'm being hypocritical, but-"
"I get it, just stop talking," the older brother lets out a sigh. "What do you expect me to do? I don't even know how I really feel. Cracker, what even is love?"
"I think... it's different for everyone," he stares at him intensely before letting out another sigh. "You're going to have to figure it out on your own, regardless of what I think love is."
"Right," Katakuri shakes his head. "It was a stupid question."
"It wasn't stupid," the smaller male groans out and faceplams. "But it's a difficult question to answer. To me, when I see the person I like, I get all tongue-tied and it's hard to breathe. Sometimes I even feel like I'm going to throw up."
"That's definitely not the way I feel about (Y/n)," he says quietly causing Cracker to burst out laughing, the older male raises an eyebrow at him. "What's so funny?"
"I just told you it's different for everybody," he wipes away an invisible tear. "You know, some Buddhists say, if you meet somebody and your heart pounds, your hands shake, your knees go weak, that's not the one. When you meet your 'soul-mate' you'll feel calm. No anxiety, no agitation."
  "You're making that up," Katakuri folds his arms. "How would you know, you're nowhere near close to being a Buddhist."
  "I am not making it up!" Cracker goes to the door and opens it. "I read it online somewhere!"
  Katakuri watches him vanish into the mansion. He shakes his head before he follows him inside. There, he goes to his bedroom and sits in the chair by the desk. His eyes wander over a letter placed in the middle, someone wanted him to see this letter.
  He looks around his room for any signs of forced entry, but there isn't any, so they came through his door. It must've been one of his siblings then. He looks around before he pulls down his scarf, the fur keeps getting stuck on his teeth and he's getting tired of it.
  He grabs the envelope and opens it, taking out a pale pink-shaded paper. His eyes narrow at the color and a sigh escapes his lips, before he starts to read it. When he's done, he throws it down and runs his fingers through his hair.
  Everything that happened today just made him confused; everything in his life was going perfectly, until now. Why did life have to get complicated all of a sudden. What is he? The main character of a book?
  He leans back in the chair as he tries to make sense of the words in the letter. Nothing makes sense. At all.

-Chapter 5: Sense End-