Chapter 37

Ugh 31 days until school starts :C and 67 days until Ash graduates Basic training! Whoop Whoop!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Braxtons POV

Driving to Fallujah was like driving to hell itself. A convoy of three Humvees including ours departed early this moring from VBC. The drive was slow as we constantly keep watch for any signs of an IED buried in the ground. One hite could spell a massive danger to us all. 

King was up front driving his eyes peeled on the road and I was next to him also keeping a close watch. Mcgill was cleaning and checking our weapons, M16's, M9's and a  our M240 Machine Gun. We had a few others that were stowed away one Humvee back, we were leading the group. 

The landscape was an endless sea of rock and sand and occasional piles of rubble from the  very small destroyed towns along the route to Fallujah. Four years ago it was a nightmare anywhere close to Baghdad or even Fallujah. Guys were killed left and right at the start of Operation Iraq Freedom, alot of people didn't trust us.

"Hey King stop the car!" I heard Cruz shout from atop the Humvee, where he was ready to man the machine gun if there was any hostile issues.

The ccar slowed to a stop as I radioed in to the other Humvees to stop.

"Cruz whats going on?". I asked him as he came back inside the main part of the Vee. 

"I think we have an IED about 50 feet from us, send Hues up here." He said.

Hues was another Marine in the last Vee, he was military police and luckliy he had an explosives dectection dog. A very very good commodity on these roads. 

I picked up my radio," Send Hues up here with his mutt."

"Roger that Boss." Corporal Lancer said from the last Vee.

"Gill toss me an M16." I said as I got out of the vehicle onto the hot sand. 

I motioned for the other guys to stay in the Vee and caught up with Hues.

"Hues that is one ugly ass dog." I said jokingly to him.

He laughed," My ugly ass dog my save your ass one day, you know that for a fact Fisch."

Hues and his dog Sarge a coal black German Shepherd were out in the danger zone looking for the  explosive like it was just another day in the park. Sarge bounding around sniffing the dirt and Hues calling commands. They made a wonderful team.

The radio beeped in my pocket, "Got anything Boss?" I think it was Gill.

"Not yet." 

I watched the team make there way farther out into the 50 foot cover Cruz had given them. 

All of a sudden the dog froze and ran back to Hues sitting as his feet all excited, barking his head off.

"Fisch we got somethin!" Hues called to me.

I radioed back to the Vee," We got one Gill."

"Hues mark the spot and head back."

Meeting everyone back at our Vee, all 15 of us we disscused plans on to either mark the spot for future convoys or remove it. 

"If we mark it someone is eventually going to hit it on accicent." Gill comemmented as I vocied my opion on very visibly marking the spot because they were dangerous to remove and no one here was that great about handling explosives like an IED. Even though we should have all been explosives ready for deploying to a place like Baghdad or Fallujah.