Chapter 20

Christmas Eve

Me, Kolbey, and Leslie were in the kitchen baking cookies while my mother, Momma Amy and my father were finishing the touches on the Christmas tree. My mother and I started on it yesterday but the tree is just too damn big so we had to take off for that day.

While I was adding more cookies in the oven, Leslie was too busy grabbing a cookie every five mines. We were baking a lot of them. When it came to Christmas, the Wright's family didn't play. We were also fixing other finger foods besides sugars. Rotail, cocktail winnies, four other different dips with chips, hotwings and bbq wings and etc which means more! Even though I missed Jahseh like crazy, being around my family made me feel a lot better and I knew it was gonna be a challenge when I left.

"Les, are you gonna keep eating up all the cookies? You've had like six of them already and the rest of them aren't even ready yet."

"Sorry Lauren, but you know it's like this every year when we do this. These cookies are the bomb. Especially the almond ones."

"Well save some for everybody else." I said while checking on the buffalo sauce to get done heating.

"Aye Lauren, what's up with my man Jahseh? That nigga is mad cool. I'm surprised he didn't travel with you."

Everything was going great til he mentioned Jahseh. Each time I told someone that we weren't together was a dagger to my heart every time. Though I brushed it off and told him the same story I told my mother when she called me. He nodded his head and continued  to toss the wings in the BBQ sauce.

My mother came happily walking kitchen with another one of her Christmas sweaters. "Ma, how many of those sweaters do you have?"

She picked up a small plate adding cookies on them I guess to take into the living room for the three of them, "I only bought five of them. I'll wear my last one tomorrow of course. You know you could borrow one of your like."

Me, Kolbey and Leslie all looked at each other ma laughed, "No thanks ma, Christmas sweaters aren't my thing anymore."

"Nonsense Lauren. You sue to wear them all the time when you were a little girl."

"Yea because I was forced to." She laughed and shook her and walked back into the living room.

"It's crazy Lauren. We've spent every Christmas Eve together ever since we became friends and this is the third Christmas you didn't wear a sweater."

"Kolbey, I stopped when I was sixteen. It became lame and embarrassing. Now this that I have on is me all the way", I said showing off my one piece that I got from Victoria's Secret PINK. It was Christmas pajamas that I had bought on sale yesterday.

"I'm surprised your dad hasn't spazzed out yet about you wearing that tight ass one piece."

I threw my hand at him, "Boy please, I am grown now. Daddy's just gonna have to deal with it.

Everything was once finished. I called everyone to the table to eat. Us all sitting together remind me of when Jahseh was here on Thanksgiving. Everyone loved him including Kolbey. He was always protective of who I dated and out of all the boyfriend I've had, Jahseh stood out the most.

After eating, we all helped clean up except Momma Amy. We told her to go lay down because we didn't want her up moving a lot. Of course she argued about helping and saying that she didn't mind and felt okay. Though we won the argument so she left and went into the guess room.

We were all staying the night at my parents house like every year. Kolbey's mom and him stayed every Christmas Eve and Christmas day including Leslie. We were all like one big happy family. After everything was cleaned, me, Kolbey and Leslie got washed up and hulled in my room. Leslie was sleeping with me while Kolbey slept on the floor like always when we had sleepovers.