Ch45 The Partner In Crime

"Well?" Haku had repeated keeping the scroll just out of reach. My eyes scanned his face before a sigh left my lips. "I had planned on making fish for dinner. You caught me, can I have it back now?" I asked him trying not to give away to much emotion.
  "Hmm..no. At least not until you tell me the truth." Haku stated and pulled the scroll further away from me and closer to himself. I bit my lip hidden behind the mask as I contemplated my options. Another sigh escaped me before I could stop it. "I'll tell you. Not here and not now..to many ears that could hear. But if you help me with a favor later I'll tell you." Sam promised. She was gonna need help anyway. She was in no condition to deceived presents tonight.
   Haku nodded his agreement before opening his mouth to ask a question. "Where and when?" He asked curiosity sparkling in his big brown eyes. He moved to help me when I sat up straighter and couldn't hide the wince.
   "Tonight out in the woods after everyone goes to bed." I told him.

*****
  It was about ten after ten when I heard someone silently slip into my room. Under normal circumstances it wouldn't have woken me but you can't wake up something that hasn't gone to sleep yet. My eyes snapped open and I shifted my attention to the door only to see Haku staring at me. "Let me help you up." He said after a minute of silence. I waved him off and ignored the pain that racked my injured body. My pain tolerance is pretty high but not this high plus with the..style..of healing that's going on to try and fix me, I'm in a lot of pain. I won't show it either, won't look weak. I stood up slowly gritting my teeth to keep the scream at bay. Once I was situated the pain eased and I  realized I had stopped breathing. Sucking in air I mentally shook it off and turned to the other ninja in the room. "Come on." I whispered to him and made my way to the window. I was about to climb through when I felt my feet leave the floor and was suddenly falling. Haku had picked me up bridal style and with the grace of an experienced ninja had jumped out the window. The initial pick up had jostled my wounds slightly but I paid it no mind. Minutes later we had arrived in a small opening in the forest, darkness and silence surrounded us.
   "What do you need the fish for?" Haku asked while he set me down allowing me to lean against a tree for support. Jashin I hate feeling like this. Weak and defenseless. Luka Sensai would be so disappointed in me. I was roughly brought back to reality when Haku began to snap in my face.
   "Earth to Sam what's going on in that head of yours?" The young male asked a concerned frown creasing his face and with the moon to his back I couldn't help to admit he looked handsome that night. I couldn't believe where my thoughts where going an in a panic I began to talk.
   "Ok so here's the deal." I heard myself begin. "I..well. I'm the Scarlett rose. I've been sneaking out every night to go spread supplies and food. Nothing big." I continued. For what ever reason I couldn't meet his eyes and I began to fiddle with my fingers. "I was catching the fish to be able to spread it to the family's who can't. I had planned on spreading fishing supplies to the families who knew how. Unfortunately I can barely move. I'm tired. I just..I need you to deliver the stuff." Sam said. It was hard swallowing her pride to do this but it had to be done. Oh she was gonna have so much fun ripping off gatos head with her bare hands! "You won't be doing by yourself. I'll be helping of course. It's just not possible to do the whole village tonight. I'm not fast enough." I admitted with a sigh. "Don't tell anyone. My reputation would be ruined." I finished the story and ended with a soft plea. Haku nodded and pulled he scroll out of his pocket.
  "I'll help. Tell me what needs done." He said. We sat side by side while I explained what needed to be done and how to do it. I set him to do the left side of the village and I would do the right. The left was more shops and markets than houses but there were still a good bit. We worked silently in the night not knowing where the other was but sure they were doing their job just fine. It wasn't until sun was threading to rise as the darkness slipped away and light began to shine. I quietly made my way to the meeting point to discuss the progress and to slip back into the house. Surprisingly I was the first to make it back and stood there for several moments waiting for him. Once I began to hear people start to move around I realized I couldn't wait any long and began to chakra climb my way up to the window. It was less stress on my body than jumping despite being slowly. I slipped off my ninja gear, and my work clothes. Smooth feeling pajamas covered me and I slipped on to the mat and laying down.  It was unusual for Haku to not have shown up, I wasn't worried.Haku could fend for himself and it's not like we were doing anything to dangerous as we were just delivering food to the houses. I laid there frozen on my mat as I rested my muscles and waited for any sign that Haku was going to arrive. After fighting off sleep for another ten minutes my eyes began to close without my sat so and despite my best effort to keep them open. The last thing I saw was my window beginning to slide open.