chapter 18

Frank woke up with a smile, his head buried in Gerards chest. Gerard was already awake and stroking Frank's soft hair.

Frank looked into Gerards eyes and saw some fear in him. Something was off.

"Hey Frank..."

"yeah?"

"I um...i think we need to break up"

"break up?" Frank felt his heart fall into his stomach. What Gerard said felt so unreal it was impossible to process in the moment.

Gerards heart broke when he saw the look on Frank's face. He wished he didnt have to do this but he'd have to leave him anyway if he got put on the death penalty for murder.

Breaking up is difficult enough, imagine breaking up with someone you are still madly in love with.

"I've done something so very bad in the past and Mikey threatened...well if I dont leave you now and prove that I have to Mikey then I'll be dead"

Frank sat up away from Gerard as a tear fell "oh..what did you do?"

Gerard sighed "it's a long story. it was out of my control but I could still be blamed for it. It was still me who did it."

Frank nodded "well goodbye I guess"

Gerard held back tears and nodded "bye"

Frank left without saying another word and ran straight to Ray's house.

"Ray I have to move away"

Ray looked up and set his guitar aside while Frank shook his shoes off and sat down on the couch next to him.

"Frank.."

Frank wiped a tear "no its serious this time. I'm sorry I know you're my best friend but I cant stay here"

"why not?"

"me and Gerard broke up. But we are still in love. I cant live this close to him, I'll never get over him"

Ray nodded "let's move then. She broke up with me too, I've been thinking about doing the same thing."

"you're going with me?" Frank asked and wiped his eyes

"of fucking course. you're my best friend"

Frank smiled "thank you"

                            ***

"got your bags in the trunk" Ray asked Frank as they made their way to the park.

Frank nodded.

They went to the bagel shop for one last coffee from the best shop in New Jearsy.

"remember when we spied on Gerard here?" Frank smiled.

Ray laughed "yeah that was insane"

Frank nodded and finished the last bite of his bagel.

"where to next kiddo?" Ray asked

"the store"

"alright"

They walked slowly, taking in the sight of that town. The town that they thought of as old and trashy was suddenly so beautiful and breath taking.

Frank ran straight to the cheese isle

"this is where he threatened me" He smiled

"wow...nice memory" Ray laughed

Frank smiled.

Frank left the store, walking fast ahead of Ray, eager to get to his final spot.

For his final destination, Frank walked slowly to the bench, Making sure to take in every detail. He slowly sat down and held the railing as if it was his dying friend. At first he had no emotion. He sat there blankly. He sat there staring at the old wood until Ray finally caught up to him and sat down too. Frank watched him just like the first day they met. He watched the tall figure with the brunette afro sit down next to him. The secound Ray touched the bench Frank burst into tears.

"frank it's okay. I know you're attached to this bench but you will be okay. it will be okay"

Frank shook his head "no ray its not the bench, it's the memories. Ray I cant leave it. Why cant we stay? I changed my mind..I dont want to forget him"

"no one wants to forget a person they loved...but that doesnt mean they shouldn't"

Frank looked up at him with tears still streaming down his checks and nodded "just give me a few minutes" he mumbled

"alright" Ray patted his back and stood up

"wait...can you stay?" Frank asked

"of course" Ray said softly and sat down next to his best friend.

Frank shut his eyes tightly.  He imagined Gerard. He could see him sitting there, face full of concentration and emotion. He could feel his hand gripping his and his warmth as he gave him a hug, almost every time he saw him. He could see them at the bench together, they held hands and stared in awe at the beautiful view. And then Gerard let go...Gersrd stood up and Frank swore he actually heard him say: "goodbye, frank" And Frank replied outloud "goodbye"

He opened his eyes and wiped the tears away and Grabbed Ray's hand.

Ray looked at him, surprised.

"Sorry I just kinda need this right now"

Ray nodded "no that's alright. this is nice"

Frank smiled "you can definately tell you play a lot of guitar though"

Ray laughed "yeah you too. rough hands"

Frank smiled and received a text from Gerard.

G:just wanna say goodbye properly this time. you nearby?

F: At the bench

G: okay

Frank and Ray stood up when they saw the familiar figure heading towards them.

gerard stood in front of Frank for their final goodbye

"do you really have to block my number too?" Gerard asked, tears threatening to spill.

Frank just silently nodded. he knew the moment he tried to speak he would start sobbing and he didnt want to cry In front of gerard. he refused to look at him too and only studied a little pebble by his shoes

Gerard nodded "no, I understand. I'm going to miss you two" Gerard said, his voice cracking at the end

"we will too" Frank said quickly, he started to cry and he was giving himself a headache trying to keep it in

Frank reached out to give Ray and Gerard a group hug. Everyone joined in.

Gerard didnt say anything more and just walked away. Frank didnt look up or even move until he was certain that Gerard was out of sight. He walked to Ray's truck without saying a word.

"ready?" Ray asked when he got into the drivers seat.

Frank nodded.

"I know you'll miss him but we'll be alright" Ray said

Frank nodded.