0.3

Michael had a very bad habit of spoiling Parker. He didn't have much money, because he didn't have a job and was currently trying to live off of the money his parents gave him to take care of Parker, but Michael still insisted on getting Parker whatever he wanted because he loved his son and couldn't stand to see him disappointed.

So that's how Parker, Michael, and Ashton ended up at McDonald's on Friday night, in celebration of Parker completing his very first week of preschool. Michael and Ashton were in a very deep and concentrated conversation, and Parker was squirming around and trying to get Michael's attention while they waited in line to place their orders.

"Have you thought about talking about this with her?" Ashton asked, after Michael had filled him in on what Parker had said last night about Beth and her new "friend".

"No. I'm not sure that I want to." Michael said stubbornly. He crossed his arms over his chest, thinking over what Ashton had just suggested. Michael assumed that Beth would just get upset at Michael if he decided to question her about this, because he knew that he wouldn't handle it the right way.

"Well, I really can't help you with this one. If you're bothered by Beth having a boyfriend then you need to speak up about it." Ashton shrugged. This was actually exactly why Michael loved having Ashton as a friend, because he always knew what to do in situations like this.

Ashton had been married for about a year and a half, and somehow he always knew how to fix relationships and help couples solve their problems. Michael liked to joke (silently, to himself) about how Ashton was like the love doctor in their little group of friends. If anyone needed help with their love lives, they turned to Ashton.

"Yeah, I know." Michael finally sighed.

"Daddy," Parker groaned, tugging on the sleeve of Michael's sweatshirt.

"What?" Michael asked impatiently, turning to look down at Parker.

"It's time to order." Parker said softly, having been a little startled from how tense Michael was acting. Michael really didn't mean in, he never meant to take anything out on Parker. He was just having a bit of a stressful week, with Parker going off to school and all of this new information about Beth.

"Oh, right." Michael nodded, and then he took a step forward to the cashier and placed his usual McDonald's order, as well as Ashton's.

"Daddy, you forgot my Happy Meal." Parker pouted, tugging on Michael's shirt again.

"Go ahead and tell the lady what you want." Michael said, grabbing Parker by the shoulders and turning him so he faced the lady behind the cash register. Then Michael turned around to talk with Ashton again.

"Also, when she dropped Parker off last weekend she said something about us all going out to dinner sometime soon? Like me, her, and Parker." Michael rambled on, still frustrated about the whole thing. If Beth wasn't happy with their relationship, why was she asking Michael to go do something that they would do if they were still in one? It didn't make sense, exes didn't just go out to dinner together. Did they?

"Why is that a big deal?" Ashton asked.

"Because we aren't together anymore. It's weird. Why does she want to have dinner with us?" Michael wondered out loud, still confused.

"Well, think about Parker. He's still really confused about why Beth isn't living with you guys anymore and he doesn't understand that you've broken up. He misses having you two together, in the same place, at the same time, and it would probably do him some good to spend some time with both of you." Ashton explained, then paused. "I mean, I feel like Beth is just thinking about Parker here."