Chapter Ten

Feeling tears run down my face I clenched my hands around the steering wheel. I felt awful for leaving Tony but it had to be done. Wren needed me and I would be there. Blinking the tears from my eyes I continued to watch the road. The streetlights passed in flashes of yellow light as darkness fell. I had been driving all day though it didn't feel like it. My back ached and my leg had gone numb hours ago but I didn't care. Pop music played on the radio and my rental car smelt like mothballs but again none of it mattered. Tony mattered though and the look in his eyes as I left the bus was one of betrayal. In his eyes I'd betrayed him. I'd walked away from him when he'd needed me. But couldn't he see that Wren needed me too. Wren needed me more than Tony did. Wiping my cheeks the tears were falling faster. Driving was making me tired, I knew I needed to stop for the night. A small motel sat on the edge of the highway and I pulled into it. This would have to do. Cars were scattered throughout the parking lot so I assumed it was safe enough. Getting out of the car I slung my backpack over my shoulder and walked into the main office. It was a cramped little office with a tired looking, older woman sitting behind the desk. Bells above the door jangled as I walked through, startling the woman.

"Oh hello dear. How can I help you?" She asked, looking me up and down.

I must have looked a mess from the sympathetic look she gave me.

"Uh yeah." I sniffed, wiping away a final tear, "I was wondering if you had a room vacancy for the night?"

The woman flipped though a log book before looking up at me, "You're in luck dear. Just a room for one?"

I nodded and she smiled kindly, handing me a pen, "If you could just fill out your details here."

Scribbling down my name and phone number I passed the pen and sheet of paper back to her and she handed me a room key.

"You're room 14, just out the front, to your left and around the corner." She directed, using some abstract hand gestures, "There's a restaurant and bar around the back of this building and a pool next to it. Though I doubt you'd want to swim in this weather."

Glancing out the window of the office a light rain had started falling.

"Thank you." I said taking the key and leaving the office.

The woman had mentioned something about a bar and that sound so inviting. An extremely alcoholic drink was exactly what I needed. Opening my room I dumped my backpack on the double bed and pulled my purse out of it. The room was small Locking the room I made my way around to the bar. The rain drizzled miserably down to the earth and seemed to weigh down my already heavy conscience even more. Pushing open the door into the bar, the warm air hit me like a brick wall. Weaving my way through the mostly empty tables I took a seat at the bar.

Standing on the inside of the bar was a man in his mid twenties, his styled hair was dyed a wicked shade of blue that matched his eyes perfectly.

"Can I get you a drink?" He asked as a sat down.

I nodded, "Vodka and coke please."

I watched him mix my drink and wondered how a young, attractive guy like him had wound up working in a dead end bar so far away from civilisation.

"What's a pretty girl like you doing drinking alone?" he asked, leaning on the bar.

"Are you hitting on me?" I asked dryly, not at all in the mood to deal with boys.

He shook his head and winked, "No. I play for the other team."

"Oh", I sighed, somehow still a little let down, "Sorry. It's been a long day. I'm here because this is the only place with a liquor license within ten miles."

He tilted his head, "You ok?"

I nodded a little, "If sitting alone drinking is ok, then I'm super."

He was pretty for a boy and I wondered how I didn't pick up on his sexuality earlier, normally I was good with these things.

"I'm Chase." The bartender said offering his hand to me.

"Tori." I replied shaking his hand.

"So Tori, what are you doing in the middle of nowhere?"

I shrugged, taking a mouthful of my drink, "Just passing through."

"Seems that’s the only reason anyone is here these days." Chase said quietly.

"Well you just said it, we're in the middle of nowhere." I mumbled, and he laughed.

"Touche."

"And what are you doing in the middle of nowhere?" I asked him.

He shrugged, "Working."

"Well I gathered that much," I replied sarcastically , Placing my empty glass down hard on the bar, the vodka was burning my throat but I wanted another, "Can I get another one of those?"

"Sure," He said, turning to pour me another drink, "But no, I'm here because it’s a family thing. My family runs this place."

"Oh."

"Yeah cause honestly I would never choose to live here other wise." Chase said almost sadly.

"Really?" 

He shook his head, placing my second drink on the bar, "Nope. But that's enough of my problems. You seem to be having a worse day than me."

I smiled a little, "I must look pretty awful, don’t I?"

"Girl, you look like a hot mess."

"I thought so. I don’t know how though, I've been driving all day." I laughed quietly.

Finishing my drink a yawn rose in my throat, I needed to sleep if I was going wake up early and get home tomorrow. Standing up, I pulled a twenty dollar bill from my wallet and held it out to Chase.

"Thanks, but no thanks. Consider it on me." He said, waving away my money.

I smiled at him, "Thanks. I'll see you round."

"Bye Tori." He replied as I walked from the bar.

Walking quickly back to my room, the rain had started falling heavier. Unlocking the door I collapsed onto the bed. I hadn't realised how exhausted I was. Crawling under the covers, still fully  clothed the bed felt so empty without Tony next to me. Though I was exhausted, sleep was hard to come by that night.