Chapter Twelve

"Miss Robinson?" A woman's voice pulled me from my sleep.

It had been a long worrisome night and I'd been awake for most of it. Though Wren had stabilised and could now breathe on his own he still had extensive injuries.

"Mmm, yes?" I replied suddenly, sitting upright in the plastic hospital chair.

The red headed woman looking down at me was wearing a pair of blue scrubs and I assumed she was a nurse, "I'm sorry for waking you but I thought you'd like to know your brother has woken up."

Standing up the nurse stepped back quickly, narrowly avoiding being knocked over by my sudden movement.

"Thanks." I murmured as I dodged around her and walked into Wren's room.

The worry I'd been feeling all night evaporated at the sight I saw in the hospital bed. Sitting propped up in the bed was Wren. He looked a million times better than yesterday. Though he still looked broken some colour had returned to his cheeks and the familiar fire lit his eyes.

"You look like shit." I couldn't help the first words that left my lips.

He grinned, "Thanks for that vote of confidence sis."

His voice was croaky but it was his voice and it was music to my ears. Moving to sit at the end of his bed, he winced with the movement of the mattress.

"Sorry." I muttered, "How you feeling?"

"Like I've been hit by a truck." He shrugged.

I rolled my eyes, yep it was still the same Wren, "Wow original. You couldn't have thought of a better truck joke?"

He chuckled, "Sorry, being hit by a truck really takes it out of you."

"Oh God, stop they just get worse." I shuddered.

We fell into a comfortable silence. It was as though neither of us wanted to seriously talk about the giant truck shaped elephant in the room and honestly that didn't bother me.

"Has Charli been back?" I asked, noticing the duffel bag sitting in one of the chairs by his bed.

Wren nodded, "Yeah. She was here when I woke up. She's gone to sort out some things with the police and insurance and whatever. God, I love her."

I smiled, "She's been here since it happened, I made her go home last night cause she looked awful."

"Oh shit!" He cursed suddenly, his heart rate must have jumped cause the steady beat from the monitor next to the bed increased.

I was on my feet in an instant, panic filling my body, "What's wrong? What is it? I'll get the nurse."

"No it's not that." He sighed, "Where are my clothes?"

Glancing between Wren and the duffel bag of clothes on the chair I was confused, "Um, over there?"

"No the ones I was wearing when," He paused, "You know."

I shrugged, sitting back down on the bed, "I think Charlie has them-"

"Shit." He cut me off, rubbing his eyes.

"What's wrong!?" I demanded.

"The ring was in my pants," He sighed, defeated.

I was confused for a moment until it clicked, Wren was going to propose.

"I'll get the ring back." I promised quietly.

He relaxed back onto the pillow, his eyes closing and lips forming into a small smile.

"Wren?"

"Mmm?"

"You alright?" I asked, slightly concerned at his sudden relaxation.

"Yup. I think the drugs just kicked in." He slurred.

I nodded as I watched my brothers breathing even out and he drifted to sleep. Leaving the hospital room I let the door click gently closed. Feeling my stomach rumble I began making my way down to the hospital cafeteria to get myself some breakfast. Weaving my way through the hospital halls I thought about all that had happened the last few days. I was still hurting from the way Tony had acted. I wanted to ignore him. I wanted to have the ability to give him the could shoulder, to hurt him the way he'd hurt me but I couldn't. I needed him. I needed to talk to him, to get everything that had happened the last few days of my chest. I loved him. Pushing through the cafeteria doors I bought myself a coffee and muffin and took a seat at one of the tables. Nibbling at the muffin I pulled out my phone and scrolled absently through social media, resisting the urge to call Tony. Nope. I had to do it. I had to talk to him. Suddenly my phone started buzzing in my hand. Glancing down at the caller ID Tony's face looked up at me from the picture. My phone was at my ear faster than I'd thought possible.

"Hello? Tony?" I cursed myself for sounding so desperate.

"No. Tori it's Mike?"

"Mike? What are you doing with Tony's phone?" I asked quietly, dread filling my stomach.

I heard him take a gulp of something on the other end of the line, "I gotta tell you something."

"Tell me something?" I was confused to say the least, plus Mike sounded strange.

"Yeah." He slurred, now I knew why he sounded weird, he was drunk, "Last night Tony, uh, kissed someone."