Chapter Fifty two - Traditions sux

I always thought that it was silly to propose in front of a public audience because it would be embarrassing if the girl turns you down. 

Of course, I didn't do that to Minho. C'mon, I was dying to be married to him! And well, to say frankly, I was anticipating his proposal in a way, just that I wasn't expecting such a, well, large-scale proposal. It turned out that Seo-jin knew of it. He wasn't even surprised to hear it from me when I told him. Minho must had pacified him. 

We received plenty of well-wishes from friends, fans and colleagues. And the next question that came up was - When would be the wedding? So it was one whole round of pacifying the public and explaining to everybody that we had yet to decide on a date and blah blah blah. Everybody wanted to know when it would be; where it would be held - in Seoul or in Singapore; where we would be going for our honeymoon; everything...! 

According to the Korean tradition, as similar to the Chinese tradition, our birthdays according to the lunar calendar had to be sent to a fortune teller to calculate the most auspicious date for a wedding. And the date turned out to be exactly on my birthday, which I was a little disappointed. I didn't want to celebrate my birthday with my wedding anniversary!

Next, it was necessary for the groom's family to be sending presents to the bride's family. In the Korean culture, a Ham had to be sent. It was a major event whereby the group delivering the Ham (a representative other than the groom himself and a group of close friends) would be received by the bride's family with a party of food and drinks. And in the Ham, there was to be three items namely the marriage paper, a collection of blue and red fabric to make clothing as well as valuables from the groom's family for the bride. 

In our case, where my parents were in Singapore, the Ham was delivered by Minho and his aunt who acted as a middleman. His parents flew into Singapore as well to meet my parents for the first time. In addition, in accordance to our Chinese tradition, the groom's family would have to prepare traditional cakes, a roast pig and two packets of money in cash - one for my family to prepare for the wedding and one as a gratitude for raising me. In return, my family prepared a set of jewellery for me, a pair of trousers and a gold ring for Minho. 

The preparation of the wedding itself was really a big hassle considering our extremely busy schedule and the tight deadline we had to work with. I was constantly at war with Minho over the small little details that had to be done - where to hold the wedding; who to invite; what activities to be carried out and so on. 

In the end, we decided to hold our wedding in Seoul and thus flying all my relatives over to Seoul, which was actually very money consuming. Fortunately, we hadn't that many of relatives and friends to invite. And amongst those we did invited, not everybody could afford the time to attend the wedding. You would think if you would invited to Lee Minho's wedding, you would be dumping everything aside to attend it, considering all expense paid for. But no, there were just some relatives who just couldn't give a damn. 

And come the next crucial thing to do for a wedding - gown fitting. That was the best thing out of the whole wedding thing! Every girl looked forward to be wearing the most beautiful gown and looking the most beautiful on their wedding day! It was the one thing that completed the fairytale!