27. Mom, It'll Never Be The Same

CATHY'S POV

What could I do? Those moms are ruthless. I could live with them jabbing at me. I'm tougher than I look. But when you point that finger at Vivi, when you say she can't be on this team with THAT technique, when you tell me that Mackenzie was doing dances like this two years ago and every girl on the team should be able to do a front aerial, that's just mean. I get it, Vivi isn't at the same level as the other girls. But at least you can be welcoming. Vivi says Kenzie wants her there, well there's no way Kenzie would want her there if she's half as bad a dancer as those moms make her out to me.

There was nothing else I could do. The more I sat there and defended myself, the worse they got. If I stayed quiet, they said I wasn't speaking up for my kid. I honestly don't know what to do now. Vivi wants to be here. I know that. But I can't let her stay in an environment that poisonous. She doesn't deserve it.

I take Vivi outside and we sit in the car. She's crying. Luckily, she's not the tantrum type of kid.

"Why did you do this, Mom? I wanted to be there. I was okay there."

The cameras poke into our windows. Melissa walks out of the studio and heads to our car. "Cathy, please. The moms say whatever they want; you know that. They're just picking on Vivi because she's new. I'm telling you, you're making a bad choice leaving. Don't leave me with those mothers."

"Melissa, you know I love you, but I can't do this anymore. I can't let Vivi stay there, not where they're going to tear her down every single step. None of the girls even talk to her."

"Cathy! That's not true. Mackenzie and Vivi are best friends, and just a few days ago Kenzie asked me if we could invite Vivi over for a sleepover. She wants Vivi there. And all the girls love her."

I frown. "You still want a sleepover? Then take Vivi tonight. See what the moms say when I'm not here. And maybe, Vivi-" I glance at her in the backseat- "you'll understand why I want to leave."

Vivi steps out of the backseat, taking her dance bag.

I drive off, furious. At least those moms might be nicer without me. And Vivi... Vivi will learn. She'll learn that mothers can be horrible, horrible, people.

And she'll learn that I can be, too.