12. Jazzin' It Up

I slip into my dancewear, put on a jacket, and grab my dance bag. Whatever my mom says can't change the fact that the ALDC is plain better than the CADC. I want to dance with Kenzie, and talk with the girls. I don't usually have many friends because my mom sticks me up in the studio day in, day out, and to be honest? It gets lonely. Being with Kenzie and the girls- that was friendship.

"Vivi! Hurry up! I have to get to the studio!" my mom shouts. I run downstairs, get my shoes, and hop into the car. My dad's there, too. He has a beef jerky place beside my mom's studio. It's kind of weird, to be honest.

The car ride, as usual, is a snoozefest. It's only a five-minute drive, so I usually spend the time staring out the window and contemplating life.

We get to the studio. My mom goes in and starts turning on the lights and opening curtains and the deal. I sit in the corner and 'stretch'. Really, I'm just messaging Kenzie on the laptop that's *supposed* to be for running music.

Kids start coming in, so I go to the dressing room. My mom doesn't like me being in the studio before a class starts, because "everyone has to come in at the same time". The instructor has to warm up and get ready for their class, and apparently, I'm much too bothersome to be in the room.

My mom nudges me. "Vivi!" she whispers. "That's Kendall, over there. Go introduce yourself."

She points to a pretty girl with long brown hair, being followed by a woman who is so insanely overdressed for the studio. The girl sets her bag down on the bench and starts putting her shoes on.

I walk over. "Hi, nice to meet you. I'm Vivi- Anne."

The girl smiles at me. "Hi, Vivi- Anne. I'm Kendall and this is my mom Jill."

Jill smiles at me. "Hi, honey. Do you dance here?"

I'm in a freaking leotard and jazz shoes, of course!

"Yes, actually I'm the studio owner's daughter. I'm also on the Junior Competitive Team, but for another studio."

"Wow!" Jill says. "Kendall is a competitive Junior too. How old are you?"

"Six." I reply.

Kendall nods. "I'm seven. Are you going to the 8:45 jazz class?"

"Yup. It's a combo class."

There are two types of classes that are taught at the CADC: combination classes and technique classes. A combination or combo class is where you learn a dance combination- basically just learning choreography. A technique class is exactly what it sounds like- a class where you work on a specific skill, or set of skills.

I stand beside Kendall in class, making sure to watch her. Mom's right. She's good. I don't think she's as good as Maddie, or Chloe, or Brooke, but she's good. She definitely could be on the ALDC team if she wanted to.

We learn the combo, and it's fun. Most jazz combos are. Surprisingly, I'm finding it pretty easy. Usually, I'm struggling to learn dances and trying to keep up, but it doesn't seem like a problem anymore. Watching Kendall and I in the mirror, we're practically in sync. This is going pretty well.

At the end of each class, the instructor groups people together, in groups of 2 to 6, and makes them do the combo for the rest of the class. He pairs Kendall and I. On the side, my mom gives mt a thumbs- up. She's definitely serious about Kendall and I being duet partners, isn't she.

Kendall and I are the first group to go. We start the music, and I'm off. Kendall is a good performer- she's attacking the moves. I try to attack them just as hard as she is. She's doing really well. If not for Justice, I'd say she could be the best Junior dancer in the studio.

After class, my mom takes Kendall and I aside with Jill.

"So, Kendall, I was wondering if you would want to do a duet with Vivi this weekend."

Kendall grins. "This weekend? Like, in five days? Um..."

Mom nods. "I was thinking you could do the combo that you two just learned. You did really well together. And won't it be fun to go up against the ALDC?"

Kendall giggles, looking up at her mother. "Can I?" she asks hopefully.

Jill sighs. "Okay, okay. But they have to be fully prepared and cleaned before competition. I'm not letting my daughter onstage unless I think the dance is good enough. Five days is not a lot of time."

Kendall squeals. "Thanks, Mom! You're the best!"

Class is over, so I go to the small prop room and turn on my laptop. I usually hide out here- we only store the small (handheld) props here, so the room isn't too big, and people don't usually come in too often.

Kenzie's sent me another message. I excitedly click on it. As my eyes scan the text, my heart drops. Oh, no. What have I done?