15. Revenge

My mom's shocked expression quickly changes to dark excitement. "Vivi, when you and Kendall perform the duet, you have to win. You will not let Abby's dancers beat you! In fact, get your jazz shoes and go to Studio D. We're going to rehearse the dance right now."

"Doesn't Kendall have a private?"

"Don't worry, honey. Get your shoes. This dance is going to be fabulous."

I put my shoes on and head to Studio D. My mom is waiting outside. "Ready? Okay. We're going to go in, alright?"

I nod. We enter the room. Kendall's practising her side aerials with Sarah, one of our instructors.

"Sorry to interrupt," my mom says, "but we were wondering if we can use this studio to rehearse Kendall and Vivi's duet."

"Sorry, she's in a private lesson right now. Would you mind coming back?"

I start to turn around, but my mom grabs my shoulder. "Actually, the duet rehearsal is much more important right now. Abby is putting another duet against us. If we want to win this week, we gotta rehearse. Right?" she says, staring at Kendall.

"Um... yeah." Kendall says. Her face is flushed from doing the aerials.

"Perfect." Mom says. "Get a drink of water and meet me here in five. Sarah, take your break."

Mom sets up the music, and Kendall comes back. I give her a side hug, and she smiles at me.

"O-kay!" Mom says in her 'teacher' voice. "We need to spruce this number up if we want it to win. Show me the combo, and we'll add in some tricks."

We go over the combo again, adding in leaps and flips. Kendall also has a couple turn sequences. I can't turn- not more than one turn, at least. Gianna at the ALDC helped me with spotting, but I can't balance to save my life. The duet's actually starting to look really good. I think there's a chance of us beating Kenzie and Nia.