17. The Last Dance

Above: Kendall and Vivi's duet costumes. Kenzie and Nia have their Snake Charmer costumes.

VIVI-ANNE'S POV

Mom told us the order of the dances in advance. Our duet is Act #67, and Kenzie and Nia are Act #73. We should be able to stay well away from them. Kendall's also in a group dance, which is Act #139. The ALDC is doing a group called Ups and Downs. Apparently, Brooke is the lead? It's Act #148.

Kendall and I stretch backstage. She grins at me. "You ready?"

I nod. This is way less stressful than dancing with the ALDC. We might have to beat Kenzie and Nia, but there's no Abby screeching at me every four seconds. "We can do this." I tell her. We share a last high- five.

The announcer starts. "This is Act #148,  Journey to the Sunshine!"

We skip onstage and get into our starting pose. A moment later, the music starts.

This time, it's so much easier being onstage. There are no corrections being drilled into my head. No giant woman glaring at me from the audience. Well, she might be glaring at me but I can totally avoid it this time. We slay the dance. Kendall is on fire, and I'm right there with her. She goes into her turn sequence at the end while I do my front handspring into a roundoff into a leg hold, and the crowd goes wild. I find Abby's face in the crowd as we walk offstage, and give her a wink. She's frowning.

Kendall and I hug backstage. "You did AWESOME!" I tell her. She laughs, panting with exhaustion. "You did so well!" We laugh for a bit, discussing the dance and any mistakes we made, or anything we notice, until the adrenaline dies down and our giddy excitement evaporates.

Kendall runs off to get ready for the group, but I go to the audience to watch Kenzie and Nia, sitting beside my mother. We're in the second row, directly behind Abby and her ALDC mothers, and there's a camera pointing at us. The dance starts and I'm instantly nervous. The acro dance I did with her last week was easy. Way easier than this. Kenzie and Nia are doing skills way beyond the stuff I could do, and in perfect sync too. They're even doing lifts. I can tell by the way my mom is shifting in her seat that she knows they're good.

As soon as the number ends, my mom drags me out of the auditorium. "Vivi, I'm going to put you in the group. We're going to prove to the ALDC that you are better than them."