25. Bigger Isn't Better

PICTURED: Left- Kenzie's costume as Glinda the Good Witch, Middle- Vivi's costume as Elphaba the Wicked Witch, Right- Maddie and Chloe's duet costumes (Maddie blue, Chloe white)

VIVI- ANNE'S POV

Kenzie and I start duet rehearsal. She has to practice holding a stick, because in the performance she'll be holding a wand. The dance is musical theatre, so there are parts where we 'exchange conversation'. Then, facials become super important. We spend a good ten minutes talking about the facial expressions we have to make.

The dance is mainly acro, similar to the dance we did before I left. But Abby incorporates the side aerial, and we add some leaps. Kenzie also does some turns in the dance. She can do six a la secondes, which are turns with your leg straight and parallel with the ground. I'm impressed. A lot of dancers twice our age can't even do more than two turns.

Abby's definitely harsher on me than she was the first week. "Point the foot! Sickled foot! Left shoulder! Too slow!"

It's a lot of corrections, and honestly it's really overwhelming. I feel like I can't do anything right.

We take a water break and I go upstairs to my mom.

"Vivi, are you alright? Abby was being harsh in there." Melissa comments. I shrug. "I'm alright. I just have less dance experience, so I just have to try harder."

Holly smiles at me. "Wise words from a six-year-old."

I go back down and we work on the duet more. We finish the choreography, and start going through larger and larger chunks of it until we've got the whole thing down. Abby smiles at us. "Girls, I'm proud of you. You two did some good work today. You work just as well as the big girls."

We go back to the dressing room, giggling. "That was so good!" Kenzie says. "I can't wait for the costumes."

We sit down and Kenzie tries to teach me a new hand clapping sequence that she learned with Maddie. I'm laughing again. This is why I came back. I belong here. With Kenzie. With Abby. With the girls.

Suddenly, the door crashes open and my mom storms in. "Vivi, get your stuff. We're leaving."