Chapter 47

While I was lounging my phone rang, It was the handsome college kid Gio. He finally called to see what I was up to. I don't know why this kid is interested in me at all, but I'm flattered. He kept asking me about my soon-to-be ex-husband when he could take me on a legit outing. It's like he didn't care that I was married or even want to acknowledge Gavin. He even offered to help me find a divorce lawyer. This kid was something else. 

"So, what is the beautiful Adassa up to right now?" He asked. 

"Not a whole lot, I'm just curled up on the couch with the remote flipping through the channels looking for something to watch. I'm also jotting down ideas for a potential story. I'm really just chilling."

He laughed, "Where's the weirdo? I mean where's the husband or ex-husband? Yeah, that sounds better."  

"I don't know. Maybe he's somewhere looking for his next jump-off, he's not here."

There was a long pause.

"Well, since he's not there. How about I stop by and hang out for a while?"

Is this kid trying to, what do they call it? Netflix and chill me?  I just learned about that one from Sharee. I'm not really hip to the language even though I'm not as old as I seem. I was born in the 70s and the slang is still weird to me. I prefer to speak proper English.

"Na uh buddy. There will be no Netflix and chill over here. I'm not with that business."

He chuckled, "Neither am I, I know you're probably at home with your kids. It would be rude of me to ask you to leave them at this time of night. I'm just trying to be the gentleman my mother raised me to be."

Now, I feel like a total jerk. Here  I go with my overthinking again. I have a habit of thinking everyone has an ulterior motive. It's that trust thing again. I loathe that it's hard for me to trust. I got trust issues because certain people have lying issues. What? I saw it on a meme once. Yes, I'm not so old that  I don't know what they are.

I put my foot in my mouth and began to choke on it.

"Honestly speaking, most people your age are only looking for a good time. I'm not into that and I'm not built for it."

He sighed, "Your husband has really messed you up, I get that, but I'm not him. I don't have ulterior motives. I just like older women and I happen to like you. Stop fighting me and let me show you what I mean."

That caught me off guard. Normally, these young guys like to play games. I really have no time for that in my life.

Just then I heard a beep. Someone was calling in. I told Gio to hold on for a sec. I looked at my phone and rolled my eyes. It was Gavin. I answered.

"Hello," I said.

"What's up? Did you get the letter I left for you?" He asked.

"Yup, I got it."

"Okay, did you read it?"

"Yep, I read it," I said nonchalantly.

"So, what did you think of it?" He said and sighed loudly into the phone as if he was agitated.

"It was nice. Thank you."

"That's all you have to say."

"Pretty much," I said.

"How long are we going to play this game? I'm ready to come home." He said and cleared his throat.

He clears his throat when he's trying to control himself, which means he's probably pissed. I forgot that I had Gio on the other line.

"Can you hold on? I have someone on the other line."

"Someone on the other line like who?" He asked.

"Be right back," I said and clicked over.

"Hello,  I'm sorry I kept you waiting." I sighed.

"It's okay, it must be the husband what's his name?" He asked.

"Gavin," I said.

"Right,  that dude. Well, you can call me back if you need to. Just make sure you call me. I'll be sitting by the phone like a sad puppy dog until you do." He said and laughed.

"You will not, stop lying." I laughed at him.

"I'm so serious. Call me back gorgeous." He said.

"Okay," I said clicked over again.

When I clicked back over to Gavin he was mumbling something.

"Hello, I'm back sorry that took so long."

"Are you still talking to that dude I caught you with at the coffee house?"

"You didn't catch me with anyone. I was out in the public eye and could be seen by anyone and everyone."

"Anyway, I caught you."

"Whatever man! What do you really want? Did you call just to work my last damn nerve?" I said talking through my teeth.

"I told you I want to come home. I miss you. I miss my kids." He said.

Why do they always want their families back when it's already too late? What the hell is that some kind of ongoing trend?

"Oh, well I still want a divorce. I don't want to be with you anymore. I don't trust you. I truly believe you will pull this stunt again."

"I promise you I won't do this again. I just need a chance to prove it to you."

"Man you make promises you can't or won't keep," I said.

"What promise did I make and didn't keep?"

"I promise I'll wash the dishes. I promise I'll mow the lawn. I promise I'll be there to pick the kids up on time. I'll promise I'll be there to take Jonathan to comic con. My son cried for 3 days because you didn't keep your promise. I promise I'll remember to take out the trash. I promise I'll be with you and no one else." I said imitating him.

"Seriously, you went all the way back to some past bullshit." He said.

It sounded like he either threw something or kicked something. He screamed into the phone.

"What the fuck Adassa? I'm coming home got damn it. I tried to do this the nice way. Expect me later this evening."

"Okay," I said as I went online.

This man has lost his mind. It's time to resort to drastic measures and change all of the locks.

It's also time for another family meeting. I called out to the kids as I searched for a locksmith.