Chapter 40

He walked over to me slowly, I got up from my chair, and he hugged me. He gives good hugs. I think I will think about this all day today. We said our goodbyes, he left me on cloud nine. I sat down again and begin to research more things about writing.

Here comes the college kid. What a distraction?

"Hello again."

"Hello."

"I thought your friend or boyfriend would never leave."

"He's not my boyfriend, and I thought you were here for a study group."

"I am we take breaks from time to time."

He sat down, right then I knew this would be a long conversation. I didn't really want to talk to this kid. The young ones are all the same. Wait. Did he think I was a college student? I did age very well. I can pass for one of the younger ones. It would not hurt to find out.

"So, what is it that you want young man?"

"Wow, that sounded so formal, and I'm not that young."

"Let me guess you are about 21 or 22, this is your second or third year of college, depending on when you started."

"Oh that was clever you are good at reading people. I just turned 23 and I'm about to start my junior year of college."

"That's great, you make sure you finish and get yourself a good job."

"That is definitely the plan. Back to the previous topic. When can I take you out somewhere?"

"I'm sorry I may be a little too old for you."

"I'm guessing that you are about 38 or 39. I know you are not one of us. You're too mature and sophisticated for that. These girls like to play games, and I don't have time for that. I need to talk to or get to know someone who knows what they want already."

He says a mouth full, and I am silently laughing so hard, while I look for something slick to say.

I got it.

 "You couldn't handle me if I came with instructions."

"Now, see that's what I call a challenge. I like challenges Ms. I didn't catch your name."

"My name is Adassa."

I can't believe I'm sitting here talking to this kid. It's time for me to go before I get myself into some trouble. I shut down my laptop, put it in my bag, and went for the door. He steps in front of me.

"Can I at least have some way to reach you?"

"Sure."

 I gave him an email address I created recently. I doubt he'll use it since it's not my number. I walked out of the coffee shop fast, climbed into my car, and drove away.

Driving back to South Chicago I thought about Excalibur and got excited all over again. Nothing else mattered to me at that moment, but how I felt. I am always taking care of someone else or worry about how someone else feels. At that moment all I thought about was myself, and I like how it felt.

 At that moment all I thought about was myself, and I like how it felt

As soon as I walk through the door, I call my sister, so I can speak to my children. I miss them.

"Hey, Kendra!"

"Hey, sis."

"Are my children there yet? I miss them I want to talk to them."

"They are setting up to start their homework."

"Oh no, wait. Let them do their homework first, and I'll call back. Sharee gets distracted and she won't want to do any homework. How are they doing since I brought them over to you?"

"They are doing well, but Jonathon is getting homesick."

"You can have them for a couple more weekends, then they have to come home. Their father has been asking for them too."

"Forget mister he can wait. He wasn't running to see them when he was running around with that jump-off chick."

I laughed hard. My sister will always have something to say about the man she calls mister. It will never be anything good. She has never liked him, and I don't think she ever will.

 I put my bag down, took my shoes off, and went to sit down and relax. I cannot sit on the couch without turning on the television. I guess it's just force of habit. I turned to VH-1. Trash television is just interesting, don't ask me why it's just good. Couples therapy is on again. Joe Budden is coming back to the house, after having to leave. I'm not sure what happened, but Kaylin looks hurt every time I turn to watch this show. I thought this would make me think of Gavin, and cry like it did the first time. Instead, I felt sorry for him and even sorrier for that woman Shantay. When she figures out she's dealing with Mr. My Way Carter, she'll try and send him back. It's too late for all of that. There are no takebacks. 

My phone lit up and went dim. I grabbed it to check it. It's Excalibur, he wants to know what I am up to. The same old same old for now. I texted him about the show. He just wanted to see what I was up to and remind me about the outing.

I put the phone down and it lit up again. It's an email. I check it, it's the college kid, and he wants to go out for drinks.

I ignored the email and went back to watching television.

I must've been tired I woke up on the couch. I'm glad the television and lights are on a timer. I could not imagine what the bill will look like next month. Lights and Gas in Chicago during winter usually cost a lot. Which means it's best to budget throughout the year for winter.

I went to the kitchen to make some coffee. I wash the dishes I left in the sink and cleaned off the table. It still feels odd without my children here. They only have a few more weekends with their auntie Kendra. We still need to have the talk about Gavin moving on. I know how Sheree and Angel feel. I'm just not sure how Jonathon will take it. It seems like he has been oblivious to the whole situation. Then again, I could be wrong. We think our children aren't paying attention when they really are. They see and hear everything; they are just reluctant to chime in and say anything. I'd rather they hear about this madness from me than anyone else. I've been putting this off for a while. I have to do this as soon as possible.

The doorbell rang.